[Chromebook XE303C12] Systemd doesn't boot after upgrade

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

[Chromebook XE303C12] Systemd doesn't boot after upgrade

Postby doragasu1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am

I have just upgraded (pacman -Syu) my arch install in this machine, and now it refuses to boot. It shows kernel messages for about 3 seconds (last message has 2.48877 s timestamp) and then freezes without showing any more output. The last message shown is also the only systemd message printed:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[ 2.48877] systemd[1]: Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: No such file or directory')
It looks like latest systemd wants sysfs interface /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd that is not supported by the kernel.

Kernel appears to work because no kernel panic is shown and also every time I close/open the lid, "cyapa 1-0067: disable/enable touch device" messages are printed.

Is there a fix/workaround for this problem?
doragasu1

Re: [Chromebook XE303C12] Systemd doesn't boot after upgrade

Postby vacant » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am

You're obviously going to have to boot from USB/SD card.

Once running, chroot to the original / and run $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/systemd-212-3-arm.pkg.tar.xz')
You may need to downgrade some other packages using your cache.

Manual chroot instructions are on the main Arch wiki.

pacman's "--root" option may an alternative to chrooting, but I've not used this myself.
vacant

Postby hcs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:44 pm

I ran into this today as well, unfortunately as I had installed from the ArchLinuxARM-chromebook-latest.tar.gz recently I didn't have systemd212-3-arm.pkg.tar.xz cached.

I was able to grab it from adminempire's rollback machine,
http://rollback.adminempire.com/2014/06 ... pkg.tar.xz
hcs

Postby doragasu1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 pm

I also got it working. I only had to downgrade systemd and now it's booting again, thanks for the tips!

BTW I hope kernel gets patched soon to support newer systemd versions.
Last edited by doragasu1 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
doragasu1

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Looks like it is a need in systemd for xattr @ the cgroups level. This is a back-porting issue that we'll have to address.

There is an issue @ github (https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/861), that pinpoints it exactly. We're looking into it.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Veyrdite » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 am

Encountered this problem today after a pacman -Syu on my Series 3 Chromebook (snow). Thanks for the link hcs, trying it now.

Similar problem on Cubieboard 2: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7331&p=40169&hilit=cgroup#p40169

EDIT: Rolling back systemd works. Version 213-5 is what caused me the problems.
Last edited by Veyrdite on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veyrdite

Postby nmmmnu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Rolling back systemd working on samsung chromebook arm (snow)

Thanks
nmmmnu

Postby PariahVi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 pm

I have this same problem, but I no longer have the backup usb drive and I'm having trouble making another one that will work properly. I was curious if someone could use sudo dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/new.iso to create an iso image of their USB drive or SD Card that Arch Linux Arm is on and host it for a little bit of time on a public location like a public dropbox file or public google drive file, just long enough for me to grab the iso and stick on my 8GB USB drive. Please keep in mind that I am using nv-u-boot and already flashed the bootloader.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful :) Thank you.

Edit
: Here is what I get when I start up my computer:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Loading file "/vmlinux.uimg" from usb device 0:2 (Kernel)
4051336 bytes read
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
MMC: no card present
mmc_init err -16, time 1950
mmc1(part0) is current device
MMC: no card present
mmc_init err -16, time 1979
** Partition 12 not valid on device 1 **

** Unable to use mmc 1:12 for fatload **
** Bad partition 2 **
ERROR: Could not boot from USB or SD')
PariahVi

Postby doragasu1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm also using nv-u-boot (I got rid of ChromeOS) and had no problem booting from an SD card with the official image, the one you get with command:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-chromebook-latest.tar.gz')

Instead of using the somehow complicated instructions in the main page I did this:

1.- Launch gparted. Create 2 partitions. The first one with 33 MB and an ext2 filesystem. I left 16 MB unused before this partition, maybe it's not required, but I think I read somewhere you have leave some space before.
2.- Create an ext4 partition before the first one, using all the remaining space.
3.- Download the tarball above. Untar it to the ext4 partition. Then copy boot/vmlinuz.uimage from that partition to the ext2 partition (you should have just vmlinuz.uimage on the root of the ext2 partition).
4.- Unmount the card and extract it from your PC. Insert it in the chromebook. Power it on and In the u-boot prompt type:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'run mmc1_boot')

I had also to set the bootargs before running the mmc1_boot script above like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rootwait rw')

But I'm not sure if that is alwais needed, or fi I had to do it because I modified it when I installed the system months ago.

I wrote this from memory and something may be wrong. so use these instructions at your own risk, and good luck!
doragasu1

Postby PariahVi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:49 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('doragasu1', 'I')'m also using nv-u-boot (I got rid of ChromeOS) and had no problem booting from an SD card with the official image, the one you get with command:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-chromebook-latest.tar.gz')

Instead of using the somehow complicated instructions in the main page I did this:

1.- Launch gparted. Create 2 partitions. The first one with 33 MB and an ext2 filesystem. I left 16 MB unused before this partition, maybe it's not required, but I think I read somewhere you have leave some space before.
2.- Create an ext4 partition before the first one, using all the remaining space.
3.- Download the tarball above. Untar it to the ext4 partition. Then copy boot/vmlinuz.uimage from that partition to the ext2 partition (you should have just vmlinuz.uimage on the root of the ext2 partition).
4.- Unmount the card and extract it from your PC. Insert it in the chromebook. Power it on and In the u-boot prompt type:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'run mmc1_boot')

I had also to set the bootargs before running the mmc1_boot script above like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rootwait rw')

But I'm not sure if that is alwais needed, or fi I had to do it because I modified it when I installed the system months ago.

I wrote this from memory and something may be wrong. so use these instructions at your own risk, and good luck!

After doing all of that, I get:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ERROR: v7_dcache_inval_range - stop address is not aligned - 0xbda3c148
mmc_init err 0, time 48302
mmc1 is current device
ERROR: v7_dcache_inval_range - stop address is not aligned - 0xbda3c148
mmc_init err 0, time 39424
ERROR: v7_dcache_inval_range - start address is not aligned -0xbda3c4a8
ERROR: v7_dcache_inval_range - stop address is not aligned - 0xbda3c6a8

** Unable to use mmc 1:12 for fatload **
Loading file "/boot/vmlinux.uimg" from mmc device 1:3 ()
** ext2fs_devread read outside partition sector 2
FAILED to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - mmc 1:3 **')
PariahVi

Next

Return to Samsung