[SOLVED] BB Black - Ethernet over Mini-USB

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

How helpful was this article?

Very Helpful
No votes
Not Helpful
No votes
Waste of Writers and Readers Time
No votes

Total votes : 0

[SOLVED] BB Black - Ethernet over Mini-USB

Postby ryball4 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:12 am

Anyone else having issues with getting this to work with Arch like it does with Debian(newer boards) or Angstrom(older)? I searched far and wide for the resolution to this issue. After viewing multiple forums and suggestions I've come to the conclusion that works for me. I solved the issue before I even posted this but I figured there are a group of people out there that are equally confused as I was. Currently this is only for granting the SSH ability from a Windows Computer to the BBB but once I get my Arch Laptop- I will be rewriting for Linux to BBB as well(preferred).

Requirements:
    -Either serial cable or micro HDMI so you can boot into arch initially to make configuration changes.
    -BB Black
    -Mini-USB to USB connected to the PC you would like to remote from.

BeagleBone Black:
Boot into the BeagleBone Black and login.
First thing we need to do is load the kernel module for OTG network traffic at every boot. This is done by creating a configuration file in the '/etc/modules-load.d/' directory.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'echo g_ether > /etc/modules-load.d/g_ether.conf')
Now that the kernel knows to pass traffic via usb (interface usb0); you will have to create a profile for netctl to use at boot to start the networking. You will need to make a new profile called 'usb0' and use your favorite text editor (such as: vi, vim, or nano) to add the quoted information to the file.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'vim /etc/netctl/usb0')
Add the following text the 'usb0 netctl profile'.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'C')onnection=ethernet
Description='Connection via USB'
Interface=usb0
IP=static
Address=('192.168.7.2/30')

Enable the profile to launch at boot so that you don't have to manually start it every time you reboot your BBB.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'netctl enable usb0')
As a safety step (mainly because I have had conflicting issues) I disabled the DHCP service at startup. In the past this has had issues with my netctl profiles starting on my ArchLinux laptop.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'systemctl disable dhcpcd.service')
Poweroff and plug into your PC for the next steps. The setup for the BBB is complete!

PC
I do not currently have my ArchLinux laptop (as mentioned) with me to set this up via linux -> BBB but I have a Windows XP (yuck) desktop to work with. You will need to navigate to your network interfaces (start>control panel>network connections.) Plug your BBB in into a USB port on your laptop or desktop and allow it to boot. When the BBB gets to loading the kernel module for OTG, the interface should appear on Windows computer. Right-Click the interface and select 'Properties.' Double-Click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select 'static' to add the following information:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I')P: 192.168.7.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

Press 'OK' then 'Close' and you should be able to remote in via puTTY or your choice of SSHing program from Windows to your BBB as if it was Angstrom.

This may not solve everyone's issues but this was a working configuration that I made to mimic the same network as the default OS that is shipped with the BBB. If it works for some people then I am glad it helped. Have a great night everyone!

Supporting forum topic utilizing netcfg:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5504
ryball4

Re: [SOLVED] BB Black - Ethernet over Mini-USB

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Well, to be honest, you should not be using dhcpcd.service, but dhcpcd@interface.service.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ryball4 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:43 pm

It was already disabled on my BBB. I did it as a safe-measure. That could've been the issue for my laptop tho (regarding your suggestion to the dhcpcd@interface.service). I just wrote a nifty script to create/disable/enable all the netctl profiles and services and it works flawlessly. I'll definitely check it out once I get on dry land. I just made this account specifically to post this topic in case people were having similar issues. The other forums discussed on netcfg. Thanks for the suggestion!
ryball4

Postby ItachiSan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:38 pm

I used your solution, and it works as local connection, but not as an Internet one.
I tried setting up a connection with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRVVtGNfj8 but I had no success.
I checked the routing stuff and all works fine, so I don't know what is wrong with it.
ItachiSan

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)