[parallella] Trying to boot [Solved] - Experience topic

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

[parallella] Trying to boot [Solved] - Experience topic

Postby ibex » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi,

Seems somebody was so kind to provide images for the parallella (http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/xilinx/). I used following mini-guide (based on the ZedBoard howto on the frontpage) to prepare the sdcard.

- fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
- Created 50M primary partition starting from sector 2048, type 'c'
- Created another primary partition for the rest of the 8GB sd card
- The boot partition is vfat, the other one ext4
- Extracted the image from Archlinux ARM over the ext4 partition, and copied the stuff under the boot directory to the boot partition.

However, as the image doesn't seem to support HDMI and it looked like the board wasn't starting or wasn't getting an ip address, I replaced the devicetree.dtb, uImage and parallella.bit.bin with the ones with hdmi support, provided by adapteva.

Now, when booting, I can see the card booting, but lots of errors spawn and the board fails to boot. Let me type some stuff over.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
systemd[1]: Failed to enumerate cgroup controllers: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: systemd 212 running in system mode. (+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +ACL +XZ +SECCOMP -APPARMOR)
systemd[1]: Detected architecture 'arm'.

Welcome to Arch Linux ARM!

systemd[1]: Failed to insert module 'autofs4'
systemd[1]: Failed to insert module 'ipv6'
systemd[1]: CONFIG_CGROUPS was not set when your kernel was compiled. System without control groups are not supported. We will now sleep for 10s, and then continue boot-up. Expect breakage and please do not file bugs. Instead fix your kernel and enable CONFIG_CGROUPS. Consult *url* for more information.
systemd[1]: No control group support available, not creating root group.
systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit display-manager.service, ignoring: Unit display-manager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
systemd[1]: Starting Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
systemd[1]: Started Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
systemd[1]: Expecting device sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device...
Expecting device sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device...
systemd[1]: Starting Remote File Systems.
[ OK ] Reached target Remote File Systems.
systemd[1]: Reached target Remote File Systems.
systemd[1]: Starting Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
systemd[1]: Started ^^
systemd[1]: Starting Paths
[ OK ] Reached target Paths.
systemd[1]: Reached ^^
systemd[1]: Starting Encrypted Volumes.
[ OK ] Reached target Encrypted Volumes.
systemd[1]: Set up automount Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point
systemd[1]: Starting Swap.
[ OK ] Reached target Swap.
systemd[1]: Starting Root Slice.
systemd[1]: Caught <SEGV>, dumped core as pid 916
systemd[1]: Freezing execution
')

Anybody that can help me debug this issue and maybe get Archlinux ARM running on the parallella?
Last edited by ibex on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibex

Re: [parallella] Trying to boot

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:47 pm

uImage contains the kernel. So, you're not booting our kernel ...
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: [parallella] Trying to boot

Postby ibex » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Aha, that indeed explains something. After replacing the uImage again with the Archlinux ARM one, the board boots fine.

Does somebody has an idea of who is creating/supporting the parallella image? Might be interesting to add support for HDMI.

Maybe we can leave this thread open for people fiddling around with the parallella?
ibex

Re: [parallella] Trying to boot [Solved] - Experience topic

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Really should only need that dtb, and the bin file
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 am

Preferably not the files, but where you found them.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby ibex » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 am

I used following files:

- The bitstream for my board: https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... bitstreams
- Downloaded kernel/devicetree: http://downloads.parallella.org/boot/linux/, using only the devicetree.dtb
- The uImage found on the parallella image from http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/xilinx/

Another thing I'm trying to do now is putting my root filesystem on an usb stick, to save my sd card without having to make my root filesystem readonly. On the Raspberry pi, I only had to edit cmdline.txt, but I can't find that one the parallella's image.

Seems that is defined in the https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... larm.patch so it seems I'll have to try building the image myself :).
ibex

Postby ibex » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:28 pm

Currently, I'm trying to setup my parallella for using vlans. However, it seems like it's not working as expected.

First, I noticed (on a fresh install) that there is a long time between pings. The time is about 7ms (which is low, compared to other machines on the netwerk that have ping times of about 25-35ms), but the time between the pings is about 4-5 seconds, compared to other machines on the netwerk where the time between pings is about 1 second.

But besides that, everything just works fine. I can update my machine, ... However, once I start using vlans, things are getting strange. For example, I can't use pacman anymore as it returns an error about "Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds". However, I still can ping the outside world and the other nodes on my network (albeit the same behavior as my first item appears).

Using "ping -n" or just pinging an ip address doesn't change a thing. Can this be some issue with the vlan kernel module or something like that?
ibex

Postby ibex » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Regarding the ping, I found something strange. The -i parameter in the ping command specifies the time between each ping. If I pass '1', I'd expect to have 1 second between pings, but it's longer. If I put in 0.5, I'd expect a ping every 500ms, but it's longer, however, it's twice as fast as the one second.
If I use flood pings on both the parallella and another pc, and I press enter and ctrl+c at the same time, the parallella managed to send 111 packages (0% package loss, avg of 13ms, and the other pc managed to get 339 packages send with an avg of 23ms. However, the "time" parameter states 1365ms while the other pc states 4154ms, and that (4s) was about the time I executed the command.

I also noticed that the keyboard repeat is twice as slow as the other pc. Does this mean the parallella's clock is configured wrong or something like that?

Edit; if I open up two extra tty's and just let 'yes' run to keep the CPU fully loaded, suddenly everything is fast again. Normal ping delays and normal keyboard repeat speed. Still can't run pacman, so that might be a different problem after all.
ibex

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 pm

CPU frequency scaling is enabled by default to try to keep processor temperatures lower since the provided heatsink is woefully inadequate.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby ibex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 am

But that shouldn't have an impact on the perception of time inside Linux, right? I mean, I would expect the OS to "scale" with the frequency. At least, I don't see this on my laptop when it's scaling from 3GHz to 800MHz during pings.
ibex

Next

Return to Community Supported