Samba currupting data

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Samba currupting data

Postby hojnikb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am

So recently i've noticed, that when i stream something from my device, videos get currupted looking. So i've started digging and came to a conclusion, that somehow transfers over samba must be curruping data.

For example:
I copy a few gigs to my device over samba (other end is running win7), then copy again back. Check the md5sum and obviously its different. So some data must be lost when transfering data.

My samba conf looks like this (it worked just fine up until recently)
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Kirkwood
netbios name = Kirkwood
security = user
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = root
load printers = no
disable spoolss = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50

[Kirkwood-Disk]
path = /root/Drives/Drive
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
force user = root

[Kirkwood-Torrents]
path = /root/Torrents
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
force user = root
')

Device is Seagate Dockstar, running latest version of arhlinuxarm. Could this be a bug in samba or is it something entirely else ?

I've also checked the drive, smart seems ok. Also did fsck for badblocks -- no errors. Replaced the usb cable for hdd.
Transfered same data over SFTP back and forth and no errors (md5sum was the same).

Any ideas ?
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ +°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~I ♥ my DockStar :oops:~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°++°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~DockStar, Marvell CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 128MB RAM, 4GB rootfs + 160GB°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
hojnikb

Re: Samba currupting data

Postby hojnikb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 pm

So after messing with this a little, i've come to a conclusion, that there must be something buggy with the new 3.16.1 kernel.

While accidently booting an old 3.12 kernel, samba transfers are as far as i can tell error free. Now i've simply repleced the new 3.16 kernel image with the old 3.12 and everything works fine for now.

Still hoping for a fix for the newest line of kernels
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~DockStar, Marvell CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 128MB RAM, 4GB rootfs + 160GB°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
hojnikb

Postby pepedog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am

You are right.
Linux-Kirkwood 3.15.8-1 seems to be OK too
pepedog
Developer

Postby moonman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 pm

This is weird. Anybody tried 3.16 (without 1) and with a different i/o scheduler? Ill test when i get home if nobody posts first
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby moonman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:34 am

It seems it is not just samba, but anything that uses encryption. I tested with lighttpd. With ssl I fail to download a file, without ssl everything is fine. I do not know if lowering max protocol will fix it. (i.e. client max protocol).
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby pepedog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 am

My minidlna is on my kirkwood, every movie was like it was badly encoded.
Thought I was having a spell of bad luck, until I saw something that was previously fine.
Large files with samba failed copy, FTP did (I didn't chech mdsums though)
pepedog
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 pm

What is the result with using linux-kirkwood-dt, assuming you're on a device with mainline U-Boot?

I'm curious if this might be an artifact from the backporting of board support into 3.16, which is just a few pieces away from dropping mach-kirkwood for pure DT and merging with mach-mvebu (which is how it will be in 3.17). If so, it may make more sense to revert back to the 3.14 LTS for that package and freeze it there for whatever devices need a uImage until they can be brought up to a DT-capable U-Boot.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby pepedog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Mine is NSA320, no mainline uboot afaik, envs only slightly changed
pepedog
Developer

Postby hojnikb » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')y minidlna is on my kirkwood, every movie was like it was badly encoded.
Thought I was having a spell of bad luck, until I saw something that was previously fine.
Large files with samba failed copy, FTP did (I didn't chech mdsums though)

Yeah, i had the same issues. But funny thing is, first time i got those "badly" encoded videos it was faulty disk, that was causing this. When i came to the conclusion, that disk is dead, i've replaced it. Obviously i've updated the system in the process and then obviously curruptions started again. Which was really strage to me; i even went as far as reinstalling the whole system to the new HDD -- was running on usb drive before.

So yeah. Now i'm running the older kernel i pulled from an old backup (because i've got usb curruptions quite a lot) and everything works fine. I'm also running the latest u-boot (installed from arch's repo) so if there is a fixed kernel, i'm glad to try it.
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

hojnikb

Postby kmihelich » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm

It would be helpful if you replaced your currently installed kernel with linux-kirkwood-dt, and see if you notice the same problems under that.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Next

Return to User Questions