Samba currupting data

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Re: Samba currupting data

Postby moonman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 am

Sorry i forgot to mention: all 3.16 have this problem, including the dt.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby jtds » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:23 am

I was pointed to this thread from a Debian thread and I've noticed the same problem running Debian with the 3.16.0 kernel. However, I only see the problem when transferring files from an NTFS formatted hard drive and not an ext2 formatted flash drive. Just wondering if the NTFS format could have anything to do with it and whether that helps at all.

-JT
jtds

Postby moonman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:43 am

Nothing to do with ntfs. My drives are all ext4.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby planeteater » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:54 am

A wild shot: try to disable TCP tx checksummming on the ethernet interface, and see if that helps:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/usr/bin/ethtool -K eth0 tx off')
planeteater

Postby fanyangto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Can someone confirm 3.15.8-1 is problem free? I am on 3.16.1-1 kirkwood. I want to be sure before I start the difficult task of downgrading the kernel.

This is my first experience with Arch Linux. I had some mysterious samba copy failure (always failed when copied from an ext3 to a win7) when the file is larger than 2-3GB. Later on, I find photos served by minidlna shows stripes. Tried to access with samba, still some photos showed stripes, but the actual files are okay. I didn't have much video troubles (after I fixed samba tuning), but it could also be because I haven't watched much videos. So I couldn't be sure.

I have also just confirmed by copying 7GB file from ext3 on samba to win7, md5sum no longer matches. However, smaller files like 100MB would still match.

Looking back, I realize these probably were signs of the same problem reported here.

Thanks.
fanyangto

Postby pepedog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 pm

3.15.8-1 is fine.
You might have it in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
pepedog
Developer

Re: Samba corrupting data

Postby fanyangto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, 3.16.1-1 is the very first kernel I have installed. No previous kernel's available. My plan is to download kernel and the headers (see versions below) from this location: http://rollback.archlinuxarm.org/packag ... -kirkwood/

linux-kirkwood-3.15.8-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
linux-kirkwood-headers-3.15.8-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz

Then I will do a pacman -U <pkg name>. Finger crossed that there won't be too many dependencies broken. Hopefully not as the 3.16.1-1 is released only for a few days.

Am I on the right track ?

Thanks

Fan
fanyangto

Postby fanyangto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Just to report back, the downgrade of the kernel was uneventful and no dependencies broken.

After the downgrade, I did another test (send/receiving 7GB video file) via samba. MD5 matches.

I have corrected the subject's typo so that this topic is searchable. This is an important topic as data corruption at this rate is difficult to discover and I feel fortunately I didn't do any major photo album movement over samba. ;-)
fanyangto

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:10 am

Kernel doesn't really have any dorect dependencies.
moonman
Developer

Postby ebbix » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 am

I had a similar problem (but don't know if it's the same). Workaround for me was to disable use sendfile = yes in smb.conf (which should be default).
However, I didn't like this de-optimization and since it worked with kernel 3.15 for me, I did a kernel bisect between 3.15 and 3.16.
Turned out "[3ae8f4e0b98b640aadf410c21185ccb6b5b02351] net: mv643xx_eth: Implement software TSO" introduced the regression: TCP segmentation offloading emulation (not the networking chip does segmentation, but the driver emulates segmentation offloading in software AFAIK).
Workaround is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ ethtool -K eth0 tso off')
which disables that TSO offloading emulation and works just fine.

As said previously: I don't know whether my problem is the same one you're facing, but it's worth a try ;)
ebbix

PreviousNext

Return to User Questions