Slow Plug

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Slow Plug

Postby desairs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 pm

So I set up my pogoplug about a week ago and I'm loving it so far. I have it set up for SMB shares, SABNZBD, and SickBeard. I am sharing 1 2TB drive (ext4) and saving the SABnzbd downloads to the drive.

Occasionally, maybe two or three times per episode, the videos that I am viewing on my laptop just freezes. Other times, it skips or stutters. It is more of an annoyance than anything.

Another issue is with SABnzbd. It flucuates download speeds between 0-1500Kb/s. When I download on my PC it stays constant at the max speed of 1500Kb/s. What can I do to fix this? I will say that my cache directory is on the 2TB drive.

My linux drive is a 2gb flash drive. I have a 300mb swap space and there is only 20mb free. I was thinking it might be the lack of space on my linux drive.
desairs

Re: Slow Plug

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Couple of questions to clarify:
Which plug ? Pogo (v1,v2,Pro,?) Dockstar, GoFlex Net, Tonido/Sheva/Guru?

Where is the swap partition?

Are the videos freezing when played via SMB shares? (I'll assume this is wired)

You may be running into an IO congestion.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby desairs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I have the Pogoplug V2 (Pink). The swap partition is on the OS drive. Do you think I should add another flashdrive and use that for the swap?

The connection to the media player is 144mbps wifi. I really doubt it is the connection. It is being shared over SMB though.

My main concern is the playback issue followed very closely by the slow SABnzbd. Yesterday I did restart SABnzbd and I noticed faster speeds. Fluctuated between 1000-1500kbs. I think the cache folder being on the platter drive may be the issue? Thanks for the help.
desairs

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Ok, technically, the swap should be on a platter if its available, unless of course, you don't mind the wear on the flash.

I would be watching the traffic, and when it starts to drop, check the IO wait times. It could be it's trying to catch up with having more than it can handle at once.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby desairs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks for the help. I changed the swap to a platter and there are people here that run SABnzbd without these issues.

How do I get the IOWAIT times? I tried top and that gave me some info.

I've noticed that the lagging with the video is not occurring as much.

Main thing now is the SABnzbd fluctuating issues. I thought it was my usenet server but it works perfectly on my PC.
desairs

Return to User Questions