Arch Install Confustion

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Arch Install Confustion

Postby cachedrive » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm an avid Arch x86 user on all my hardware and naturally I decided on Arch for my rPi B+ model. Sadly the documentation is extremely bad compared to the Arch Wiki.

When I read: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi and switch to the 'Installation' tab, it's fairly vague and honestly the instructions look like it would be an issue from my MacBook which share similar folder names w/ Linux.

I downloaded the Arch Linux tarball from this installation guide step #5 w/ the wget command. Clearly OS X doesn't have wget but I can curl -O that download. I'm then presented w/ a tarball w/ lots of Linux FHS folders that Arch Linux uses. Is there NO .img file?

Does anyone have a YouTube or community driven guide that makes sense and can be executed from a MacBook? I don't have a Linux machine handy unless I create a VM on my MacBook Pro.
cachedrive

Re: Arch Install Confustion

Postby Socaltom » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7966

The post above discusses the status of an img.
I'm a little confused by your post. If you have Arch on all your hardware, then executing the install from an Arch machine should be a simple task. The instructions seem pretty detailed to me, but they are expected to be performed from a Linux machine.

I'm not familiar with OSx, but I thought it had a lot of similarities with linux. Can it format a fat32 partition? Is there a version of tar available?

Here are the tasks you need to accomplish to install arch.
1) create 2 new partitions on the SD card,
Partition 1 is and should be 100 MB in size
Partition 2 should be the remainder of the SD card
2) Format partition 1 as FAT32
3) Format partition 2 as ext4
4) Extract the tar file to partition 2 ( ext4)
5) copy the files from the boot directory on partition 2 to partition 1

Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby moonman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Osx doesn't support ext filesystems. You need a VM, or you can use NUBS (or whatever its called) that will do everything for you (but ypu need a screen for pi.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby lharmon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I have used image files with other distros and they are convenient.

I don't know why they are not used by archlinuxARM, my guess is that Archlinux had no need for them.

I have had to create my own image files to send to our manufacturer. It is fairly easy, but CPU intensive, especially the compression step. (I use dd and pixz on an odroid u3). Testing takes a while also, perhaps this is another reason ArchlinuxARM does not support images.

My initial solution was to install Ubuntu on a PC and use gparted to partition and format the SD card

Larry
lharmon

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices