Forum Description Suggestion

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Forum Description Suggestion

Postby calzon65 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm

I assume most ArchLinux ARM users are techier than the average user, but I have a suggestion that might make the boards a little easier to navigate.

When the recent Broadcom category was added to the Hardware/ARMv7 devices category, the description for the Broadcom forum reads “Raspberry Pi 2” instead of the same standard in the other forums which is “This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 XXXX SoC” where XXXX is the SoC manufacture.

I don’t know if it was a mistake to add “Raspberry Pi 2” to the Broadcom hardware forum description, but I can see having the actual device name, which is similar to how the Platforms are organized on the main page, may make it easier to locate an applicable hardware forum.
calzon65

Re: Forum Description Suggestion

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:32 am

Basically, there will likely be only that ARMv7 SoC on a dev board, and.. this helps certain people actually identify where they should be posting.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby calzon65 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 am

You are right WarheadSE, it will make it easier for folks.

I just thought it was such a good idea, that maybe the other SoC forum descriptions should include the device name :)
calzon65

Postby malbro » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:04 pm

It seems like a very good suggestion, but from certain responses I've read from the developers, like condescending responses to questions such as "it will be done when it's done", as well as many of their "silent" responses, I have little faith the developers take these kinds of suggestions into serious consideration. It's their website and they will do whatever they want, which is code for, if they didn't think of it, then its a bad idea. I'm sure this post will also be deleted, but oh well.
malbro

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

I wasn't planning on deleting it.

You'll have to realize however, that no matter how many times people make a suggest, they may not realize that we don't have to implement it. We're the ones who have to run and operate all of this, and we're the ones that face all ramifications of it.

Don't get snippy because you think you have been ignored, disregarded or otherwise dismissed. Perhaps "done when it is done" is a sheer fact, and we've got other things we have to do in our lives?

calzon65 is accurate in his portrayal of the expectation of ALARM users, but reality does not reflect expectations. For this reason, sometimes we have to keep certain things a little more "straight forward".
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:28 pm

And do not forget that this project is a self-funded, purely free time effort. We will not give an ETA when the T is variable on a multitude of factors related and unrelated to the task at hand, so everything will always be done when it's done. If you want it sooner, contact us privately and we can work out a contract and fee schedule.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Community