Can't get Arch Linux to run on my Raspberry Pi 2

Raspberry Pi 2

Can't get Arch Linux to run on my Raspberry Pi 2

Postby LuMa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 am

Hello,
I'm new to Arch Linux. I learned some Linux basics when I bought my first Raspberry Pi a while ago. But a friend is using Arch Linux on his laptop and it works fine, so I wanted to give it a try :) However, I also wanted to test the new Raspberry Pi 2. But I can't get Arch to boot.

I downloaded the "ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz" and copied it to my microSD with "Win32DiskImager" (Yeah, I'm on windows). But it doesn't boot. Raspbian and OpenELEC both work, but I can't get Arch to boot.

What is my problem? :cry:
LuMa

Re: Can't get Arch Linux to run on my Raspberry Pi 2

Postby pepedog » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:03 am

This will never work, ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz is not an image.
Load up raspbian and you will have Linux to work with, and follow http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2#qt-platform_tabs-ui-tabs2
pepedog
Developer

Postby LuMa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:40 pm

Okay, thanks for your help :)
LuMa

Postby LuMa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't get it :(

Doing df -h in Raspbian:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pi@Arch ~ $ df -h
Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
rootfs 7,2G 2,6G 4,3G 38% /
/dev/root 7,2G 2,6G 4,3G 38% /
devtmpfs 369M 0 369M 0% /dev
tmpfs 75M 208K 75M 1% /run
tmpfs 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 149M 0 149M 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 56M 15M 42M 26% /boot
')

And a qoute from the installation guide:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')Start fdisk to partition the SD card:
fdisk /dev/sdX

What is meant with sdX? And sdX1 and sdX2?

I'm sorry, I'm a linux noob and have never really worked with such things. I understand the basics but have no clue about filesystems, partitions and all that stuff...
LuMa

Postby pepedog » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:32 pm

It's assuming you have card in a card reader, then it could be sda, sdb etc. X means a letter.
Use dmesg when you plug card in to find out.
It's possible on your Linux system it could be mmcblk0, again dmesg will show.
If unsure do dmesg before and after inserting card
pepedog
Developer

Postby moonman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm

and you will need 2 SD cards. One to boot up raspbian, second (+ cardreader in USB as pepedog mentioned) to install Arch. It will likely show up as <sda> if you don't have any other storage devices in usb ports.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby LuMa » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Ah thanks for your help guys :) That finally worked for me :)

Thanks!
LuMa

Postby CraigEsk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:44 am

I am having a similar issue. Over the last couple of days I have tried the following:

1. On an Ubuntu machine, from Terminal followed official instructions to install OS on a 32GB SanDisk C10 MicroSD card (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... berry-pi-2). No boot, black screen, no message, no IP assigned on router.
2. Tried again with an 8GB Sandisk C10 MicroSD card. Same issue.
3. Installed the official Pi Noobs and ran their Raspbian image succesfully (just to check the SD cards and Pi2 weren't faulty/incompatible). Both ran fine.
4. Reset smaller card to Noobs image, tried the link to ARM from there. Didn't work, but wasn't sure if this was the v6 image anyway.
5. Used my old Pi running Arch to reinstall Arm 7 version on cards in case issue was using Ubuntu (my hopes weren't high at this point as this is how I installed Arch on the old Pi). No boot, black screen, no message, no IP assigned on router again on both.

Is there an issue with the latest release, and how can I tell when it was released so I am not needlessly downloading the same file multiple times when I try again? Anyone else having same issue?

Craig
CraigEsk

Postby mitchejj » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:36 pm

I presume release images follow the same monthly release schedule as traditional Arch, as in the first of the month. Pulling up the download link minus the file, shows the current install was released on the first of the month. I can attest to the fact the image worked for me. Personally instructions worked perfectly for me... I started from a traditional Arch system but I don't see why they wouldn't work on another system.

Now I wouldn't say the current docs are perfect I understand why some info might be lacking... like how to find what where your card is located in the device tree.... or why they use wget opposed to curl... wget isn't even part of `core` ;)

To help you with your current issue... a possible solution would be found in a reddit thread: HOW TO: Manually Updating Arch Linux on NOOBS formatted disk for RPi2.
mitchejj

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:11 pm

wget is, well, simpler. We can easily get curl in place of wget in the instructions, but you'd not believe the number of times people have screwed that up.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Broadcom