Acer Chromebook 13 - Tegra K1 - Status?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Acer Chromebook 13 - Tegra K1 - Status?

Postby raumzeit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 am

Hi,

did anyone attempt to bring alarm to the Acer Chromebook 13 with NVIDIA Tegra K1 yet?
I have Xubuntu running on that machine, but experience system freezes (blank screen, blinking curser) while leaving it unattended. These freezes seem to be related to multiple levels of DPMS settings of the Xorg driver.
Anyhow, since I am not so much familiar with Debian/Ubuntu but use Arch on my x86 and ARM devices for a long time, I would like to experiment with an ArchLinux installation on this device. But I don't really know how to begin with, since this Chromebook is unsupported in alarm right now...

Best

RaumZeit
Acer CB5-311, Asus Flip, Tinker Board, Samsung ARM Chromebook, NSA 325, ix4-300d, WandBoard Quad, Raspberry Pi B, BeagleBoard ...and a dead Pandaboard :sad:
raumzeit

Re: Acer Chromebook 13 - Tegra K1 - Status?

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm

We'd love to have one to have the ability to do "official" support. We don't though.

Perhaps once we've got the TK1 Jetson truly sorted we'll be able to help more.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby raumzeit » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Thank you for the response.
I keep my fingers crossed for progress on the TK1 Jetson. Until then, I'll see if I can contribute to progress in an unofficial support.
Acer CB5-311, Asus Flip, Tinker Board, Samsung ARM Chromebook, NSA 325, ix4-300d, WandBoard Quad, Raspberry Pi B, BeagleBoard ...and a dead Pandaboard :sad:
raumzeit

Postby dfly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Well I am working on it. But haven't succeded so far.

Cross compiling seems to go fine.
My config is ok and not messed up as I thought.
The toolschains should be alright.
But my kernel just refuses to boot.

I just made a mrproper and restart the whole process because I started compiling several times and might have messed up something.

I'll let you know.

Btw: I have a working kernel which I have not compiled myself. But I like to compile and use my own.

If you have some linux running on it your progress is further than mine.

I think you should try another chromebook rootfs and exchange the drivers for the L4T drivers which are available on Nvidias site.

Edit: I recompiled my kernel. Still nothing. Even tried arm-none-eabi- toolchain but still nothing. I think I'll quit it for now so I won't break the chromebook in wrath. ;)
dfly

Postby feuera » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:03 am

Hi,

you might be interested in this git repository. It gives you step by step instructions for building a kernel. I was able to follow it through and could compile my own kernel and even start it.

https://github.com/lgeek/gnu-linux-on-a ... omebook-13

I tried nvidias kernel Ubuntu rootfs and it worked. I had some issues with wifi tough.
The only thing missing in above description was the cgpt command which did the trick for me.

When I tried archlinux instead of the l4t rootfs the kernel ended up in kernel panics. I do not remember the error message. Maybe the version of my rootfs was too new? for the kernel. I will test again some time and let you know.

regards
Andi
feuera

Postby dfly » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi,

I know that tutorial pretty well. I even contacted that guy who was so kind to help me out here and there.

But still no success. Kernel compiles but does not boot. His kernel boots.
dfly

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:59 pm

We need more information that "kernel panics" and "does not boot"
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to nVidia