Desktop Environment on rpi2

Raspberry Pi 2

Desktop Environment on rpi2

Postby ILMostro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:30 pm

I just spent 6 hours trying to figure out why the heck I wasn't able to successfully start an "X" session on my raspberry pi 2 with archlinux installed. It turns out that, for some reason, the board kept defaulting to the `mali` driver every time a graphical session was started. I don't remember, at this point, whether the mali driver was installed as a dependency or whether it was installed deliberately due to my ignorance of the proper GPU driver for the raspberry pi 2. In any case, I thought it might be a good idea to, at least, document my experience here for future reference. Uninstalling the mali driver resolved the issue.

NOTE: Maybe we could expand a bit on the great Installation instructions to include the proper setup of the Graphical desktop.
ILMostro

Re: Desktop Environment on rpi2

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Perhaps a "suggest packages" list.

Or perhaps a few meta packages? Such as:
platform-{board}-base
platform-{board}-headless
platform-{board}-x11

Someone will need to curate that list. Who will do that?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ILMostro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm not sure whether or not you're being cynical or genuine with your suggestions. Either way, I'm not sure where such information would be posted and/or found. Perhaps a separate wiki for archlinuxarm could/should be set up, curated, etc. There seems to be conflicting information on the "core" archlinux wiki; they suggest that "community-supported" projects like archlinuxarm are not supported by the main archlinux distro/community, and that information directly related to such projects should not be listed there. However, there seems to be no place for such information on archlinuxarm.org and, subsequently, numerous articles, pages, citations exist on the main archlinux wiki despite their "policy".
ILMostro

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:33 am

I was being geniune.

We have no wiki because we three don't have time to baby sit that as well, and none have stepped up as capable.

As for entries @ the main Arch Wiki, we have petitioned to have them removed, but they keep coming back.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ILMostro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I'd imagine the competency level needed for setting up and administering, curating, etc., a wiki is minimal. If you're willing to delegate the responsibilities and outline the required competencies, I could give it a try; if not me then, at least, you'd have a posting to point future inquiries.
There are some useful links for any/all wanting to learn more:

ILMostro

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:27 pm

administering and curating actually takes a chunk more time. Why? SPAM.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby duch » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Complete noob question : do you mean that any public wiki invariably ends up being fed tons upon tons of spam edit ?
duch

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Yes. And our users would want to be able to edit such Wiki. And we're either have to spend a tonne of time managing users, or managing spam.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby miah » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm

There is already a rpi specific arch wiki, which was very helpful for me setting up my rpi 2. It does have a section stating which is the correct xorg driver.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Raspberry_Pi
miah

Postby duch » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:59 pm

WarheadsSE > maybe you can find enough users willing to handle the wiki moderation ? I have no idea how complex managing users or spam on a wiki is, but I'll gladly lend a hand if I can.
duch

Next

Return to Broadcom