Desktop Environment on rpi2

Raspberry Pi 2

Re: Desktop Environment on rpi2

Postby sdjf » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 am

I think there are two things going on here: 1) needing better documentation for installing X, and 2) desire to break off and start totally separate wiki for archlinuxarm.

None of that seems to me like it belongs in Development, but I am just an ordinary user.

I believe that most, if not all, of the software installation problems we have on our Pi's, are going to be basic to all of ArchLinux, and that if documentation in the standard Arch Wiki is inadequate, it makes more sense to improve that than to start another whole wiki. Raspberry Pi specific issues can get added to the ArchLinux page for Raspberry Pi which is already in existence.

The xorg driver section in the Raspberry Pi Arch Wiki page is minimal, it could be expanded to be more complete. I personally found no pages about installing xorg to be complete, though. Each installation has it's own unique requirements. I personally found the eLinux page for installing arch on the Pi to have the most helpful list of what to install, and posting in the forum when I needed help.
sdjf

Postby ILMostro » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:33 am

My previous post was a suggestion, not a request; thanks for your input on that. In effort of preventing this thread from spilling over into yet another discussion, I won't continue to argue the merits of the suggestion.

Regarding the question of the Wiki pages:
You're making a lot of statements that contradict my previous understanding of the situation; namely, I was under the impression that the ArchLinux (and ArchWiki, by extension) team discourages and disallows creating content pertaining to unsupported platforms, distributions, spinoffs, architectures, etc. If, as you previously stated, the majority of your questions about ALARM would be similar to, if not the same as, ArchLinux issues/content then, you'd still be able to find that relevant content on the ArchWiki. I agree with you that users of ALARM should contribute to the ArchWiki if it overlaps with the issues and interests of the rest of the ArchLinux users. However, if your own questions and concerns with ALARM were best answered on elinux.org--a site focused on embedded platforms and ARM architecture, etc.--why wouldn't you see the benefit of a separate ALARMWiki? Just as there's a distribution-specific wiki for the i386-based architecture, there's a benefit in curating one for ALARM.
ILMostro

Postby mitchejj » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Okay I agree an arm/raspberrypi focused wiki would be helpful. I was actually thinking about starting a like project this morning... But back to the topic at hand.

As pointed out the ArchLinux Wiki states xf86-video-fbdev is the recommended driver to use. Yet, I have to ask is that still current? Why wouldn't one use xf86-video-fbturbo?
mitchejj

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Personally, I would give it a shot. There is a discussion page of that Wiki entry ;)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Previous

Return to Broadcom