Pogoplug E02: tweak recent U-Boot to re-allow NAND fallback?

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Re: Pogoplug E02: tweak recent U-Boot to re-allow NAND fallb

Postby PogoDancer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:27 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'O')u[r, as in Arch?] U-Boot environemnt can be easiliy modified to boot whatever: you just have to read documentation and/or follow examples.
Which is how the above viewtopic.php?f=30&p=46069#p46069 has been accomplished, as Arch uBoot does not have fsload to chainload the original bootloader from jffs2 (and unlike Jeff's installer omits to put its copy on file there anyway - nor does it preserve the cesvcid AFAICS, for that matter).
PogoDancer

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Adding fsload is simple. We'll be yanking up all the other Kirkwoods to the latest U-Boot soon anyways.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby grayman4hire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')dding fsload is simple. We'll be yanking up all the other Kirkwoods to the latest U-Boot soon anyways.

When you do that, would you consider updating the uBoot installation script for the E02 so that it will boot into the default Pogoplug OS when nothing is attached? I know it's not something you personally care about, but it would really help a lot of new users.
grayman4hire

Postby PogoDancer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:30 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('grayman4hire', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')dding fsload is simple. We'll be yanking up all the other Kirkwoods to the latest U-Boot soon anyways.
When you do that, would you consider updating the uBoot installation script for the E02 so that it will boot into the default Pogoplug OS when nothing is attached? I know it's not something you personally care about, but it would really help a lot of new users.
When first-time flashers can't be sure whether the Pogo will boot their USB (especially since quite a few threads describe the E02 as being particularly picky), it's best to retain an option to boot NAND as a fallback for USB, all the more as that one comes for free.
Besides the original uBoot (or all of mtd0 through mtd3 in the original layout in particular if you propose to overwrite as one new larger mtd1 with the fine but optional Arch rescue system), while only needed for the Stock services, these are also hard to recreate and hence worth preserving while we can (as part of the whole initial environment for that matter):$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cesvcid=Q...........................
ceboardver=PPV2')It's hard enough not to miss any backup and preliminary testing steps when only converting one of these machines every few years (I for one had the mtd0 backup this time around, but didn't realize while I had use for Stock I'd have to prevent Arch from ever mounting mtds, due to the redefined NAND layout conspiring with the rw override bug and JFFS2's very limited pre-checks).
Those trying it for the first time have even less of a chance to avoid potential pitfalls without these details for guidance.
PogoDancer

Previous

Return to U-Boot/Kernel