How to strip Archlinux firmware on my FirePrime device?

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

How to strip Archlinux firmware on my FirePrime device?

Postby levd » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 am

Hi all,

Recently, I've ported the volumio to my favorite FirePrime development board.

Volumio gives a new life to the board. I can use my phone to connect to its wireless AP directly, browsing and playing music in a browser.

But I'm not satisfied with its underlying system (a old debian system), which has problem mounting the Windows 7 shared folders (cifs).

Since Volumio is getting its 2.0 out, I'd like to port ArchLinux arm to the board, as my next project.

How can I easily strip the size of firmware? Docs and man files are easy to get rid of.
How about the development files? I'd like to keep the released firmware as compact as possible.
levd

Re: How to strip Archlinux firmware on my FirePrime device?

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm

1) We don't ship a firmware.
2) You're not "porting" anything, the userland is already all there, you just need to BYOK(ernel)
3) How tiny are you talking? You'd just need to go cleaning up tidbits of packages (ala, man pages), but Arch does not differentiate between library headers, man pages, and binaries.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: How to strip Archlinux firmware on my FirePrime device?

Postby gripped » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:35 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'D')ocs and man files are easy to get rid of.

They will come back over time when packages are upgraded. Unless you don't plan to upgrade ?

One way round this is to make your own packages which replace the Arch ones where you judge a particular package is using too much space. For example linux-firmware contains a lot of firmware you won't need. Make your own package with just the firmware your board requires, give it a different name, and add (or edit)
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'provides=("linux-firmware=${pkgver}")
conflicts=('linux-firmware')') to the PKGBUILD

If you change many core packages expect things to break if you don't keep an eye on Alarm updates to packages you've changed and rebuild them yourself as needed.

Unless you know what you are doing and really need the space the best approach is probably to do nothing :)
gripped

Return to Community Supported