Sharp Netwalker PC-Z1

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

Sharp Netwalker PC-Z1

Postby katatsumuri » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello! Holiday wishes to all.

I am interested in porting Arch Linux ARM to my Sharp Netwalker PC-Z1
(http://www.arm.com/markets/mobile/sharp ... -pc-z1.php).

The CPU is Freescale i.MX515 (ARM Cortex A8). As far as I understand, this is armv7 architecture.

Netwalker's stock Ubuntu 9.04 is outdated and not supported anymore not by Sharp nor by Canonical. So I am going to try to install Arch (first to microSD card as a second OS and later, if it will work without issues, install to NAND flash via UbiFS).

What is the most suitable ArchLinuxARM repository/image/etc for i.MX515 ?
Or I need to compile it myself for Netwalker?
katatsumuri

Re: Sharp Netwalker PC-Z1

Postby ckhmer1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi
as far as I know,
the ony image available for iMX5 is the usb armory board, which has the i.MX53 SOC.
Unfortunately this board is not full compliant with a normal board.
I'm trying to boot the image for that on my i.MX53 QSB (there is a thread in this forum).
I was able to boot with this image, but not all periferal are working.
What I've understood is that you need a dbt (device tree boot) file describing the hardware and wich modules should be loaded.
I'm not sure that the i.MX515 is full compatible with the i.MX53, you can try to boot this image for start testing and try to modify for your need.
In parallel try to find the u-boot for your device (http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=summary) and start modding :)
Have a good luck.
Claudio
ckhmer1

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

iMX51x and iMX53 are not directly compatible. If you can bring your own bootloader, the mainline linux-armv7 kernel may work if you have the right pin-mux / dtb available.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby katatsumuri » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:18 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ckhmer1', '
')What I've understood is that you need a dbt (device tree boot) file describing the hardware and wich modules should be loaded.
I'm not sure that the i.MX515 is full compatible with the i.MX53, you can try to boot this image for start testing and try to modify for your need.
In parallel try to find the u-boot for your device (http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=summary) and start modding :)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'i')MX51x and iMX53 are not directly compatible. If you can bring your own bootloader, the mainline linux-armv7 kernel may work if you have the right pin-mux / dtb available.

Thanks for information. I'll try to create DTB for my device.

As for bootloader - Netwalker uses RedBoot bootloader. As for now I'm afraid of replacing bootloader, because not sure that will be able to restore it if something will go wrong.
The stock bootloader setup has "rescue mode" - starting the device with both touchpad buttons pressed cause booting from microSD card (this mode is intended to be used for resetting the device to factory default state using rescue microSD card downloaded from Sharp site, but may also be used to boot alternative OS). So as a first step I'm going to use rescue mode to boot ArchlinuxARM (somewhat similar to using Developer mode in ARM Chromebooks instead of flashing custom firmware). But not sure about dtb support in 7-year old redboot, maybe some tricks will be needed...
katatsumuri

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:22 pm

With u-boot, you can append the dtb to the zImage and then make that into a uImage. Perhaps that would work for you with RedBoot
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Freescale