[netatalk] Getting netatalk working

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[netatalk] Getting netatalk working

Postby Berklee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I've been scouring the board and wiki for more information on getting Netatalk to work on my Pink Pogoplug. Long story short: add an apfd entry to /etc/hosts.allow.

You may have read the instructions for compiling netatalk on your own box with PKGBUILD, I'll replicate what I did here for clarity:

First I followed the instructions from this page: http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=De ... g_Packages

Installing the following packages:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S kernel26-headers file base-devel abs')

Then I followed the instructions from numanoid: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93&p=3150&hilit=netatalk#p3103

And did the following things in my home directory on the Pogoplug:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netatalk/netatalk.tar.gz
tar xvzf netatalk.tar.gz
cd netatalk
vi PKGBUILD (or nano)')

In the PKGBUILD file I changed the line:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'arch=('i686' 'x86_64')')

to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'arch=('arm' 'i686' 'x86_64')')

And changed the line:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './configure --prefix=/usr --with-ssl-dir=/usr --localstatedir=/var --enable-fhs --enable-zeroconf=/usr --disable-srvloc --without-xfs')

to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './configure --prefix=/usr --with-ssl-dir=/usr --localstatedir=/var --enable-fhs --enable-zeroconf=/usr --disable-srvloc --without-xfs --with-cnid-cdb-backend')

And saved it. Then I compiled it (still in the netatalk directory) with:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'makepkg -Acs --asroot')

After a long time, it finished (without errors) and I proceeded to install it with:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -U netatalk-2.1.4-0-arm.pkg.tar.xz')

After installation, you need to edit a few configuration files, most importantly you need to add a directory to share through netatalk. You can do that in /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default. Simply edit it and add a line to it like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/data/public "Public" cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv')

If you run /etc/rc.d/afpd start now, it will run, but you cannot connect to it. It turns out you need to add the afpd service to /etc/hosts.allow, so do this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'vi /etc/hosts.allow')

And add this after the sshd entry:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'afpd: ALL')

Not the most secure setup, but it will do for now.

Finally, you need to add afpd to the /etc/rc.conf daemons if you want to run it at startup.

There is but one problem with this setup: if you connect, netatalk requires a valid username/password. I haven't found a way to turn this off yet. If you know how, please let me know.
Berklee

Re: [netatalk] Getting netatalk working

Postby oddballhero » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')here is but one problem with this setup: if you connect, netatalk requires a valid username/password. I haven't found a way to turn this off yet. If you know how, please let me know.

Have you tried in afpd.conf "-uamlist uams_guest.so" ?
oddballhero

Postby Berklee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Yes, I have, but that didn't do it either. Strangely enough, what did end up working was the following in afpd.conf:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '- -tcp -noddp -uamlist uams_randnum.so,uams_dhx.so,uams_guest.so -nosavepassword -advertise_ssh -guestname "guest"')

With "guest" being a user on my Pogoplug with ownership of the directories that are shared over AFP. But thanks for the suggestion!
Berklee

Postby oddballhero » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Berklee

Referenced your guide to netatalk in http://www.Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?titl ... me_Machine . Works really well.
oddballhero

Postby kientran » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Has anyone else tested the netatalk package on a Dockstar?

Following the setup instructions in the wiki, plus installing from pacman -S netatalk
http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Application:Time_Machine

The wiki suggests that we can use a mounted smb share as the AFP volume, but I'm having trouble getting it to correctly deal with permissions on the share.

If I attempt to drop a file onto the mount, it requests my system password and fails. What were your fstab settings to mount the volume to make it work correctly? I am manually masking the folder as root else afpd can't seem to handle permissions otherwise.
kientran

Postby oddballhero » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:43 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kientran', 'H')as anyone else tested the netatalk package on a Dockstar?

Following the setup instructions in the wiki, plus installing from pacman -S netatalk
http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Application:Time_Machine

The wiki suggests that we can use a mounted smb share as the AFP volume, but I'm having trouble getting it to correctly deal with permissions on the share.

If I attempt to drop a file onto the mount, it requests my system password and fails. What were your fstab settings to mount the volume to make it work correctly? I am manually masking the folder as root else afpd can't seem to handle permissions otherwise.

I just used mount -t cifs -o rw,username=xxx,password=xxx to mount the samba share and made sure I could read/write if I was logged in as the afp user (not root). You have to make sure that the user and permissions span the 2 machines (make sure the uids and gids match). I was just showing how versatile afp/netatalk is so that an afp dockstar with a samba mounted pro-liant share can act as a gateway (I was bored and I could set up my pro-liant with netatalk and afp anyway). For most people just using a directory on a dockstar drive for the afp volume is enough and faster. This works well on my Arch Linux ARM install/optware/debian-squeeze machines.
oddballhero

Postby Parsa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:18 pm

I can confirm that I just installed netatalk using pacman on my pogoplug and followed the wiki guide and so far it's working surprisingly well!
PogoPlug v2 Pink
Parsa

Postby oddballhero » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:02 am

With clean living everything always works. No surprises.
oddballhero

Return to Packages