Pogoplug webcam security system

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Pogoplug webcam security system

Postby scales11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello all, I am fairly familiar with Linux. I have currently been trying to use a program claled MotionEye (which is a web frontend similar to the "motion" project) but have run into a few problems. I am not sure how much of them are due to MotionEye, perhaps none, but I am also interested in giving Zoneminder a go for comparison.

Here is my current hardware:
3x Pogoplug v4 (~800MHz CPU 128mb ram)
2x Raspberry Pi 1 model B (the first popular raspberry pi with ~700MHz cpu)
2x wireless G USB 2.0 dongles
1x wireless N USB 2.0 dongles
1x Asus eeePC 901 netbook (1.6GHz Atom CPU, 2gig ram, 160 hdd)
3x cheap, USB2.0, 640x480 webcams capable of yuyv ONLY (no mjpg)

My goal, was to have:
1[(webcam+pogoplug)=ip camera]
2[(webcam+pogoplug)=ip camera]-> wireless->router->AsusEEE_PC
3[(webcam+pogoplug)=ip camera]

My thought was that I would have three IP cameras connected to the EEE_PC which would be running Zoneminder/motioneye. However, I have playing with mjpg-streamer to serve the IP Webstream and because my webcams only output YUYV, the stream maxes out the CPU power of the Pogoplug. This in turn ruins the framerate and makes the video laggy with constant freezing.

I think that it is possible to reduce the processing power of the pogoplug, if I serve the uncompressed video feed instead. But, from what I have read, uncompressed video feeds take up a ton of network bandwidth.

1. Would it make sense for me to hook everything up to a separate network to keep my local area network traffic optimal?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations given my setup? I have also considered running ethernet cable to each pogoplug to provide PoE and data instead of the wifi.
scales11

Re: Pogoplug webcam security system

Postby Socaltom » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm not sure how much luck you will have with the wifi, but what I would do.
1) Run motion on each of the pogos to capture the video from the webcam and you can set them up to stream the live video. You can adjust framerates with motion to match what ever your wifi can handle. Personally 5 FPS works for me.
2) Collect the video streams using what ever you want ( FWIW I found Zoneminder to suck up a lot of CPU power)
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Re: Pogoplug webcam security system

Postby scales11 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:17 am

Any ideas if I want to stream ~20fps?

Also, is there a way to use ffmpeg to stream to http? Similar to mjpg-streamer
scales11

Return to User Questions