Installing Arch to SD Card from MacOS

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Installing Arch to SD Card from MacOS

Postby andromeda » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi - I'm a new Odroid C2 user and I'm trying to follow the installation instructions for writing the OS to my microsd.

I'm having a few issues:
* The fdisk bundled with MacOS is not the same as in other linux distros so I'm not sure how to properly partition it
* mkfs.ext4 is not available on MacOS as far as I know
* running `bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-odroid-c2-latest.tar.gz -C root` generates a bunch of errors:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-odroid-c2-latest.tar.gz
./usr/bin/rcp: Cannot restore extended attributes on this system
./usr/share/licenses/common/Apache/license.txt: Cannot extract through symlink usr/share/licenses/common/Apache
./usr/share/terminfo/h/hp70092a: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/h/hp70092a'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P9-W: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P9-W'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-M: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-M'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-M-W: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-M-W'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P9-8: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P9-8'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P8-W: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P8-W'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-W: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P14-W'
./usr/share/terminfo/P/P7: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/P/P7'
./usr/share/terminfo/n/ncrvt100wpp: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/n/ncrvt100wpp'
./usr/share/terminfo/n/ncr260vt300wpp: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/n/ncr260vt300wpp'
./usr/share/terminfo/n/ncrvt100wan: Can't create 'usr/share/terminfo/n/ncrvt100wan'
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
')

Does anyone know how I can write the odroid c2 arch linux dist to my sd card from MacOS?
andromeda

Re: Installing Arch to SD Card from MacOS

Postby moonman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:35 am

You can not. You could probably figure out the fdisk and partitioning part, but MacOS does not support extX filesystems as you already figured out. There are probably 3rd party drivers available but they are unreliable at best. You must use linux. Use VirtualBox or LinuxLiveCD
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Installing Arch to SD Card from MacOS

Postby rpetitho » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:55 am

Virtualbox worked pretty good, but the Mac internal SD card reader wasn't playing nice with Virtualbox and I ended up using this technique (https://www.geekytidbits.com/mount-sd-card-virtualbox-from-mac-osx/) to write my card.

By the way this is my first post on here, just got a RPI3 and wanted to see if I could get the ARMv8 working on. It booted up and runs linux...that's a start. HA!

-Bob
rpetitho

Return to ARMv8 Devices