ODROID-C2, GLES, and mythtv

This is for ARMv8 based devices

ODROID-C2, GLES, and mythtv

Postby wdirksen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:54 am

Hello anyone,

I have a functional mythtv media server system with server and multiple frontends running with ArchLinux x86_64. Recently I bought an ODROID-C2 in the hopes of a nice frontend device. Arch Arm 64 installed without issue with Mate DE as with my other frontends . Xf86-video-odroid-c2 package installed which is supposed to have GLES driver included. MythTV 0.27 is successfully compiled with ARMv8 compiler flags using same PKGBUILD as other x86_64 frontends but mythtv would not build with OpenGL ES as the build option was disabled. BTW not using current Arch mythtv package because v0. 28 is full of bugs and last 0.27 official package from February 2016 is not compatible with current libcec and libvpx.

All is good except video rendering which is beyond poor. MPV doesn't render video any better.

1. Any ideas why I have no functional libgl?
2. Should I use framebuffer driver instead?
3. Any ideas how it would be possible to get MythTV to compile with GLES libs enabled which should fix it.
4. Will it help to convert to the dark side and install Hardkernel's version of Ubuntu? (hoping this isn't the solution)

Thanks to anyone who can shed insight.

Wes
wdirksen

Re: ODROID-C2, GLES, and mythtv

Postby wdirksen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:01 am

I have discovered that MythTV needs qt to be compiled with Opengl ES v2 support. The official QT5-base package for aarch64 is built with Opengl ES 2 support based on mesa but MythTV still won't configure to compile with Opengl ES support. Stuck here
wdirksen

Re: ODROID-C2, GLES, and mythtv

Postby wdirksen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:28 am

So I have managed to compile the qt5-base package with embedded Mali GLES2 enabled. See:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11167

However MythTV still refuses to configure itself to build with GLES support enabled. So far no hardware video acceleration with MythTV on Archlinux ARM for ODROID-C2 (aarch64)
wdirksen

Return to ARMv8 Devices