xf86-video-armada , etnaviv

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

xf86-video-armada , etnaviv

Postby danboid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 pm

I recently got a SABRE Lite SBC as its one of the very few ARM boards with both SATA and working open source, 3D graphics drivers in the form of etnaviv and xf86-video-armada, and I couldn't say no for £55. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any PKGBUILDs for xf86-video-armada or its dependencies libdrm-armada and etnaviv.

Has anyone already created PKGBUILDs for these packages? It'd be very useful for wandboard, hummingboard, novena and general iMX.6/Vivante users to be able to easily get X working.

http://git.arm.linux.org.uk/cgit/xf86-v ... able-devel
Last edited by danboid on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danboid

Re: xf86-video-armada , etnaviv

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm

This is a semi-recent development, and I myself had not seen it prior.

It should be doable, with some effort.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby danboid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm

That's good to hear WarheadsSE!

I'll be sure to let you know if I get any of this done. So far I have hacked together a PKGBUILD for mesa-git built with the imx and etnaviv gallium backends. It builds and installs but I'm not sure it works as I've not got X to start yet! :D
danboid

Postby danboid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:04 pm

An example xorg.conf for the armada xorg driver built with libetnaviv support:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device-armada[0]"
Driver "armada"
Option "UseGPU" "true" # change to "false" to disable 2D acceleration
Option "XvPreferOverlay" "FALSE" # FALSE enables xv acceleration
Option "Screen" "0"
Option "AccelModule" "etnadrm_gpu"
EndSection
')
danboid

Postby danboid » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05 am

Some rough build notes - I've not got armada to build yet.

xf86-video-armada requires libetnaviv to build if you want to take adavtage of the GLES2 acceleration etc that etnaviv offers. libetnaviv can be downloaded from here:

https://github.com/etnaviv/libetnaviv

If libetnaviv complains during configuration about gc_hal.h (galcore headers) missing, apply this patch to libetnaviv:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/d4ddi ... aviv.patch
danboid

Postby danboid » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:38 am

I've just been talking to someone in #etnaviv who said they have to use the following -vo option when using mpv under armada/etnaviv:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mpv --vo=opengl:backend=x11:es=yes')

Otherwise it crashes. I don't know any details of that users hardware or distro so YMMV but it interested me as mpv is one of my top X apps and one I'll definitely be using when I have X running. It coud be that his drivers or OS are a bit outdated and this is no longer a problem but it's a tip I thought worth logging here.
danboid

Postby danboid » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am

I got xf86-armada to build tonight. I've not got time to test it properly now but so far I got twm to boot but not MATE.

EDIT - 23rd March 2017

The etnaviv gallium driver is now included in mesa 17+ in the Arch repos. To build the Armada xorg driver, follow the README within its repo:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'git clone git://git.armlinux.org.uk/~rmk/libdrm-armada.git/')

The only thing I had to do in addition was to run

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo ln -s /usr/include/libdrm /usr/include/drm')

Before building armada and after installing libdrm.
Last edited by danboid on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danboid

Postby danboid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:42 am

You do not simply `configure; make; make install` armada, oh no!

Its probably best to ignore my previous post and wait for the devs to write a complete, working guide on how to build armada. Apparently everything 'just works' under Wayland and Weston, if you're happy with Waylands current limitations and drawbacks. I pesonally need shared clipboard managers and to a lesser degree desktop video capture more than I do security.

I have just emailed ARM Linux overlord and the author of Armada Russell King to get his feedback on this build guide, which is kinda working for me, I think, but still missing some key info.

https://www.christian-gmeiner.info/2017 ... v-support/

See the ongoing discussion on github here:

https://github.com/etnaviv/libetnaviv/issues/1
danboid

Postby danboid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 pm

I've had to move house twice in the last couple of months so I've not had much time for testing etnaviv and armada but hopefully things are calming down now.

The good news is that now that mesa 17 is in the ALARM repos, etnaviv is now supported - at least at the kernel / drm / mesa level. The 'bad' news for anyone else with an Element14 SABRE Lite is that the current (ALARM) 4.10.x imx kernel code doesn't support the SL's multiple video outputs properly. Tonight I hope to test a patch to 4.11rc that aims to fix that.

I also updated the armada build instructions in my last-but-one post in this thread to basically say "follow the README".
danboid

Return to Package Requests