How to boot Pi2 or Pi3 as armv6

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

How to boot Pi2 or Pi3 as armv6

Postby keithspg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:35 pm

I am trying to compile packages for a P1 B+ on a B+. Currently, I have the B+ running arch armv6h and have an x86 machine running distccd. It is an improvement compared to compiling completely on the pi, but is still extremely slow. The Pi2 I have running similarly compiles in record time in comparison.

I tried once to boot a Pi2 with a armv6 image and it did not boot. Is it possible boot and set up a Pi2 or Pi3 to have it boot an armv6 kernel and full OS? I do not need or want a GUI. I want to do this and configure a Pi2 with the libraries and packages to be able to compile armv6 packages with makepkg? Qemu apparently does not work for this (as far as I can tell) A VM on a desktop will not, either and a PiB is slow...

Gearhead
keithspg

Re: How to boot Pi2 or Pi3 as armv6

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 pm

We don't package the dtb's for the Pi 2/3 with the armv6h repository kernel. You'll need to get those dtb's out of the appropriate kernel package:

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... BUILD#L101
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby moonman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Would it not be easier to use armv6 chroot?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:56 pm

It would. Greatly.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby keithspg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Chroot sounds useful. Is there a page you can point me where I can learn how to do this?

I am assuming I will need to create a minimal armv7 install on a Pi then figure out how to install an armv6 Arch Install then chroot into it (kind of like how an x86 arch install is created?) and configure it will all libraries needed to compile each package? Does this have to be on a Pi2/3 (arm platform) for this to work?
keithspg

Postby keithspg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm

I figured this out. I was able to boot a Pi3 with armv7, download the armv6 image and build an armv6 image and chroot into it and build. Even using distccd to help with the build process. Works perfectly.
keithspg

Return to User Questions