Arch Linux with LUKS FDE

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Arch Linux with LUKS FDE

Postby carrlile » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi!

I've been enjoying my C2 running Arch Linux for a while now. Quite happy so far. I have a few PI 3's running Arch with full LUKS encryption and I wanted to experiment doing so with the C2 on the emmc module. I've tried variations of the procedures I use to build a LUKS-encrypt Arch PI from here and here but I can never get it to boot.

I'm trying to adapt the official Arch installation guide for the C2 into a FDE setup.

Instead of creating 1 partition with fdisk, I created 2, the first one with 1GB for the installation root filesystem and the second one for the luks partition. I boot as usual into the C2, add the encrypt hook to mkinitcpio.conf and create a new initramfs image. I also modify the boot.ini file to load the cryptdevice. Finally, after putting the emmc module on another computer and mounting both the first partition and the luks partition, I rsync the two and then I expect the C2 to at least ask me for a password at boot, but I then just get a black screen. The heartbeat LED is flashing so I assume it does get somewhere. My guess is that I'm missing a step after modifying the boot.ini and mkinitcpio.conf.

Any suggestions?
carrlile

Re: Arch Linux with LUKS FDE

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello!

If it's still relevant, here's what you should try:
Install 'dracut' from AUR, use a kernel command line like this: "luks.uuid=5d9ce4ad-f7e0-4f92-9299-83314353b1e4 root=/dev/mapper/luks-5d9ce4ad-f7e0-4f92-9299-83314353b1e4 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw ....", and also make sure the 'dm_crypt' module is included in your initramfs. It's probably a good idea to test your dracut generated image before you try it with FDE.
ryu

Re: Arch Linux with LUKS FDE

Postby carrlile » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try!
carrlile

Return to ARMv8 Devices