Sudden sshd failure and bizzare login prompt

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Sudden sshd failure and bizzare login prompt

Postby Stencon281 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:12 am

I was using putty on windows 7 with X11 forwarding enabled into my pi3 and during the middle of a git push the ssh connection had failed.

When I tried to log back in I was getting connection refused errors from putty. So I restarted my pi3 and it was giving me the same message. After connecting a keyboard and monitor to the pi3 I saw that everything was loading just fine until it got to the login screen....

Arch Linux 4.9.30-1-ARCH (tty1)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'alarmpi login: [ 10.980636] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[ 10.986273] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
[ 225.716907] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
')

And when I unplugged my ethernet cable I got this

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'alarmpi login: [ 240.677655] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1 ')

When I looked at the journal logs all that was present were messages saying the X11 forwarding in sshd were misconfigured and that the sshd service had failed.

But that doesn't explain the messages appearing in the login name on boot and I'm unable to get sshd running again on my pi3... I have tried to re-enable it with various systemctl commands but none of them work. I also tried to restart the ssh socket but still nothing.

I could really use some help solving this mystery.
Stencon281

Re: Sudden sshd failure and bizzare login prompt

Postby andre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 am

Given the messages it looks like something is wrong with the network. Try a different ethernet cable, if that does not work, try connecting it to a different network switch (or at least port)

To be sure ssh itself is working as it should, try running
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ssh localhost')
If the network is down but ssh itself is working fine, it should connect to itself. If it doesn't work, then something is wrong with the ssh configuration
andre

Re: Sudden sshd failure and bizzare login prompt

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:49 pm

The messages you see resulting in "bizarre login prompt" are from the kernel/dmesg outputting network controller status. This normally happens on consoles (tty, serial), but never on SSH.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions