Regarding the Arch Linux ARM User Packages

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Regarding the Arch Linux ARM User Packages

Postby Alchemek » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I notice that the Arch Linux ARM maintenance of user packages is significantly different than the AUR in the ordinary Arch Linux release. Is there a reason for this? According to https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10243, we're essentially able to build packages from the ordinary Arch Linux AUR, but not necessarily. I acknowledge that we can also build submitted user packages from this forum, but that isn't really equivalent to having a dedicated AUR page.

So, what is stopping Arch Linux ARM from having a dedicated AUR, even if not all packages support all architectures? I think if this were to be implemented, it would drastically increase the value of Arch Linux ARM and make it a much more attractive distro to just about anyone. The reason I think this is based on my experience with the regular Arch Linux and how the AUR is one of the most important features in the distro for me.

What do you all think about this?
Alchemek

Re: Regarding the Arch Linux ARM User Packages

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

The actual AUR can be used, as it normally would be on upstream Arch Linux.

Use your tool of choice, and either add the appropriate architecture to the PKGBUILD, or use makepkg's `-A` flag.

The difference between the AUR and the 'aur' repo are explained here: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs#aur
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Regarding the Arch Linux ARM User Packages

Postby Alchemek » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 pm

That is very helpful, thank you. :)
Alchemek

Return to Community