Seperation Between Arch and ArchARM

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Seperation Between Arch and ArchARM

Postby Technicus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:45 am

Hello,

It is unclear to me why there is such aggressive separation between ArchLinux and ArchLinux|ARM. I went to the ArchLinux forum to post a question regarding ArchLinux|ARM. I found the "Other Architectures" thread post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431. I can sort of understand . . . but it seems excessively divided to me.

Whatever . . . this is how it is, so this post is pointless.
Technicus

Re: Seperation Between Arch and ArchARM

Postby Socaltom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 pm

When it comes to the OS/boot questions that are specific to ARM, then the Arch forum won't have the answers. Its also true in many cases when it comes to package compatibility. When it comes to other things like configuring a package, like Openvpn, or something esle then Arch is the place to go. It's not that they are divided for some political reason, its just that Arch is designed for essentially one architecture, ArchARM supports dozens, how the boot and the intricacies of each one are somewhat unique, so if you ask how to boot off of an SD card ( or something else related) at the Arch forum you will get the wrong answer. If you just have a generic question like, what's the best way to set up a raid array, then I would go to the Arch forum, I just wouldn't confuse them with ARM.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby dkasak » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am

I have to say, I've also found this when posting in the Arch forum. It makes things difficult - there aren't enough users here to get a response for some issues here, and meanwhile there is open animosity in the Arch forum towards ArchARM users :(
dkasak

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:12 pm

The "animosity" stems from asking the question in the wrong location, as Arch proper supports only x86 based systems, and they are remarkably easier to understand that the operations of ARM platforms.

We're primarily divided because we support 4 architectures (armv5te, armv6h, armv7h, AArch64) as opposed to the single that they do, as well as the fact that few, if any, Arch developers have ARM devices to be able to provide any level of knowledge or insight into the platform.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions