Upgrade or Start From Scratch

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Upgrade or Start From Scratch

Postby MotoTom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:00 pm

I have a Pogoplug 2 running a much older version of ALARM. I use it as an SFTP server, Samba server and DLNA server for my media collection. It has been running quite well for more than 5 years.

I stopped updating it in 2013 when Samba 4 came out since it broke the SMB shares for me. Now I think it's time bring it up to date.

Today I did a "pacman -Syu" and found LOTS of stuff to upgrade but the upgrade failed because of file conflicts with /bin, /sbin, and /usr/sbin.

So the question is do I try to find all of the conflicts in these frequently used directories, do a fresh installation from scratch or just leave it alone since it works fine?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

TIA

Tom
MotoTom

Re: Upgrade or Start From Scratch

Postby graysky » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Holy ***** dude... that is a long time to not update. At this point you can either consider using ALA to do some itterative updates (manually setting the package clock 3-4 months ahead of your last one) or reinstall saving your key config files.

EDIT: nope, ALA only goes back to 2015. Probably faster to just reinstall.
graysky
Developer

Postby sehraf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:49 am

In case you decide for updating: Keep in mind that at some point some pacman versions are required. For example see https://www.archlinux.org/news/required ... 016-04-23/ (i'm assuming that this also matters for ARM).
sehraf

Postby MotoTom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

So sorry for not responding to your posts. I was expecting email notifications of new posts and never saw any.

Today's the day to start at the beginning. I'm working from a fresh flash drive so I can access the current system at any time.

My first problem is, after removing all USB connection except the fresh USB, I can't access the Pogoplug. It doesn't show up in either my router connections table (where the current one always does) nor in Fing.

Any thoughts on how to access the Pogoplug under these circumstances? Is there a way to install a fresh Arch Linux Arm to the flash drive using my Linux netbook, then move the the Flash drive to the Pogoplug?

:oops: I have ticked the "Notify me ..." box so I should know when responses are made.

Many thanks.
MotoTom

Return to General