Odroid XU4 wireless performance when eth0 unused

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Odroid XU4 wireless performance when eth0 unused

Postby Leomania » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello. I'm a relatively new Arch Linux user but I've been using various Linux distros for a long while now.

I purchased a Hardkernal Odroid XU4 SBC and installed the arm version of arch on it. My intent is to use it as a low-power server for various home automation tasks, and to connect it to my network via the wireless-N adapter I purchased along with the XU4 (a Realtek RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter). I have this set up using wpa_supplicant and it's connecting to my network at boot just fine.

What's odd is that when I ssh in from my Mac over the wifi link, the response in the terminal is stuttering and sometimes stalls for a few seconds. I the XU4 to my router via CAT5 and it immediately got connected but I was still logged in via the wifi connection. Strangely, the performance issues on wifi completely went away. No stalls/stuttering, works just like I want it to. But I'm not connected via the wired connection, so why would that have anything to do with the response over the wireless connection?

The stalls come back as soon as I disconnect the cable. I've tried a "ip link set eth0 down" while the cable is still connected and performance still seems okay. But after disconnecting the cable, the terminal becomes unresponsive and only occasionally responds to input. Plug the cable back in, and after a few seconds the connection (still over wireless) is back to normal.

So, pretty odd. I'll look at the logs again for anything useful. In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts about how the wifi and wired connections could be conflated in this way?

FYI, I'm pretty up-to-date: Linux xu4 4.9.56-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 16 02:04:38 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Regards,

- Leo
Leomania

Re: Odroid XU4 wireless performance when eth0 unused

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

That's interesting, considering that the Ethernet is on a dedicated USB3 root hub, entirely separate from where you'd attach the wifi.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to ARMv7h