Thunderbird beta for aarch64?

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

Thunderbird beta for aarch64?

Postby mcloaked » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I was looking for Thunderbird Beta (currently 59.0b2) but there isn't a package built for aarch 64 that I could find. On my x86_64 machines I use this version daily in preference to stock stable builds as there are major improvements in the beta and it works very reliably.

Does anyone know of a build available? If not is it possible to build it on an aarch64 machine? I tried to pull the current stable PKGBUILD from the link at https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... hunderbird but I could not get it to build.

Thanks in advance.
mcloaked

Re: Thunderbird beta for aarch64?

Postby mcloaked » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Since nobody replied I thought I would try to run my own build. It took a bit of time to research and find out how to run the distributed build system (distcc) along with the armv8 toolchain for cross-compiling, but I got it all set up with the chromebook as master and my i7 laptop as x86_64 client, and ran the build from the chromebook using the arch linux aur PKGBUILD for thunderbird beta. It took about two and a quarter hours to build, but produced the package file thunderbird-beta-59.0b2-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz and that installed just fine on the chromebook using pacman -U.

Copying my Thunderbird profile from another machine thunderbird beta runs without problems on the chromebook now. I guess there is no interest from anyone on this forum for having thunderbird beta in the repos but it does run very well as a day to day email client.
mcloaked

Return to Package Requests