RPi2: Boot hangs, unable to mount /boot

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

RPi2: Boot hangs, unable to mount /boot

Postby stefguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Hey Archers,

been running 3 RPi2s with nearly identical setup for some time now. /boot is on internal SD card, / comes from an attached USB Stick. Stumbled across the following when running pacman -Syu this morning:

One of my Pis booted fine, the two others stopped in emergency mode telling me they were unable to mount /boot. Hitting Ctrl+D, both continued startup, once I logged in and checked, /boot was mounted fine ... what the heck ?!?

As nothing else changed the last week and all file systems and storage devices were fine I googled around a bit and found the following:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59266

As this seemed somewhat matching I downgraded lvm, as this was indeed upgraded when running pacman -Syu this morning, And voila .. both booted like a charm.

So, conclusion:
There's something wrong with lvm2-2.02.179-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
Downgrading to lvm2-2.02.177-5-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz helps if you experience similar issues.

I'm not able to provide screenshots and log output at this time, as journal is in memory only on these devices (lost after reboot) and I needed them in working state rather urgent .. but if anyone is interested I can reproduce and provide stuff for further debugging.

Greetings, Stefan
stefguy

Return to General