[Solved] Annoying fan noise on XU4

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

[Solved] Annoying fan noise on XU4

Postby andoru » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Does anyone know any way to fix the annoying way the fan works on this device? Even on idle load, the fan spins up every couple of minutes, keeps spinning for a few seconds, then turns off again, only to repeat a few minutes later. I can't even sleep in the same room the device is in...

I've tried using this: https://github.com/f1vefour/odroid-xu4-fan-control

And it hasn't really solved anything, as the fan cannot start on PWM values lower than 100... it instead makes squeaking noises. So having adjusted the script, nothing has really changed.

Is there something I could do to fix this in software? Perhaps something that doesn't involve getting the heatsink for it, or use a different fan. Currently I can't modify anything about the SBC due to the case I got for it...
Last edited by andoru on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
andoru

Re: Annoying fan noise on XU4

Postby TheSaint » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:14 am

I think you may adjust for a low constant speed, and, perhaps add a capacitor parallel to the fan poles. The cap will filter the pulse into less rippled voltage.
TheSaint

Postby andoru » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 am

Not sure how to "adjust for a low constant speed". I also don't have capacitors on hand, nor do I have much experience with electronics.
I solved this problem by setting the CPU governor from "performance" to "conservative". This helped reduce the CPU temperature by at least 10°C
I think I might also buy a Noctua NF-A4x10 fan to be able to reduce the temperature even more.
andoru

Postby TheSaint » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 am

For slow temperature changes, just set the PWM to remain on at low pulse.
Let me ask, what is doing a SBC for you ?
TheSaint

Postby andoru » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm using it as a NAS and I'm running qBittorrent on it, so nothing that would require more than 20% of the CPU power, so the "conservative" governor is perfect for this.
andoru

Postby TheSaint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:45 pm

If this is solved, you might add [Solved] to you first post ;)
In a hardware speaking case, there are few tips to reduce that noise, as I mentioned. But if the fan is squeaking, then there might be something wrong, like the fan is not suitable to operate in such low speed.
TheSaint

Return to Samsung