Support Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ ARMv8?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: Support Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ ARMv8?

Postby lifehome » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 am

By following the instructions here, and also putting the dummy dts file into /boot, I have successfully boot the RPi3B+. However without the USB and ethernet port functioning, it seems I have no way to install the AUR aarch64 kernel to drive my USB and ethernet port?

Or anyone kind enough to release an image? :p
lifehome

Postby piotrp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Are there any news about Raspberry Pi 3B+ installation? Is it going to run without any special steps?
piotrp

Postby darkgeek » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:59 am

I still remember the wiki said that mainline kernel did not support 3B+ model several weeks ago. However, seems this lines is removed now:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'AArch64 Installation
This provides an installation using the mainline kernel and U-Boot. Use this installation only if you have no dependencies on the closed source vendor libraries shipped in the ARMv7 release. This installation has near full support for the device, including the VC4 graphics.

Follow the above instructions, substituting with the following tarball:

http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz
')

So maybe we could try?
darkgeek

Postby darkgeek » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 am

Well, I'm back. ;) I flashed the aarch64 system to my raspberry pi 3B+ by following the guides here, it worked quite well, except audio and gpu hardware acceleration (omxplayer is unavailable now). And also you'd better split more memory to gpu_mem (mine is 128) in /boot/config.txt or you might encounter nasty errors, slow boots and blank screen.
darkgeek

Postby piotrp » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I confirm that! I works, in my case - headless device - without any additional changes. I access the console via UART, it is enabled in provided package.
piotrp

Postby KwaXi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 pm

I've tried this with the last images released, but non of them worked on my RPi 3B+

The board begins to boot, but get's stuck. The red led is on, the green led flashes 7 times (which is repeated after a delay).
KwaXi

Postby KwaXi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Additional info: it doesn't matter of I try rpi2 or rpi3 image.
KwaXi

Postby ufo6000 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm

--> https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ... ic_pattern

7 flashes: kernel.img not found

My guess:
image was not written correct to sd card, sd card defect, sd card not supported, pi cardreader defect.

Try another sd card and tell us exactly how you prepared it.
ufo6000

Postby KwaXi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:38 am

I've tried Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB and Samsung Evo Plus 64GB on two different RPi 3B+ with same result, on a RPi 3b the image boots b on both SD cards, another try with an older Sandisk 4GB card wasn't successful neither.

With both images, ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz and ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz the result is always the same; boot get stuck in display showing the four color square and the green led blinking seven times. For reference I tried the flashed SD card in a RPi 3b; were all worked.

I've followed the instructions here: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-3
KwaXi

Postby gecko » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Has anyone here had any luck compiling the rpi-4.19.y branch 64-bit kernel for the raspberry pi 3b/3b+?
The pi folks are gearing up for moving to the 4.19 branch for the mainline kernel (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=224931&sid=05eeec02010c327529755be109bc75fc&start=25

I tried compiling for the arm64 architecture from the raspberry-pi linux source tree, but unfortunately my pi 3b+ doesn’t boot. I used all the same methods for compiling that I’ve used to compile the 4.14 branch from the same source tree, which has been working fine for the past 6 months. There must be something broken in the 4.19 default config for the pi, but I don’t know what it could be. Would love to hear if anyone here had any experiences with this? Especially as, when the pi folks switch to 4.19.y, the linux-aarch64-raspberrypi-bin AUR package that so many here are using will automatically switch to that branch too, so would be nice to work out what the problem is so we can push fixes upstream and avoid any issues before the switch is made.
gecko

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8