Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby reey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I didn't found an option for that in the DT, but maybe thats also possible.. :D

If I was you, I would just change the nyan-big_defconfig and put the modules in it, that you need..
Or create your own defconfig file and replace the nyan-big one..
The config file in the linux-nyan folder is no longer used and I just kept it there if some modules were missing to add them to the defconfig file..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:10 pm

I tested some more and it seems like the usb ports are not working. lsusb gives nothing back. Also [Load modules] shows "failed" on boot. I tried 'sudo depmod -a' but without luck

Edit: Also building a Kernel with OC enabled will let the device overheat =/
NoDiskNoFun

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline / U-Boot success

Postby vman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi reey and fedup,

thank you for your insights, which helped me booting Arch Linux on the CB5-311 with U-Boot! :)

Reey, your post from January 6th was very helpful, with the "spi-deactivate-delay = <500>" and "setenv stdin cros-ec-keyb".

Fedup, when I followed your instructions from January 9th I initially only got a "device not found" on U-Boot - but I learned somewhere that you can run "run" on some of the "presets" seen in the output of "printenv", and that got me going in the right direction. I tried "run scan_dev_for_boot", but it was missing "distro_bootpart". So I provided that :

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv distro_bootpart 2')

Just to be on the safe side I also did:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv devnum 1')

That's all:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
run scan_dev_for_boot
')

...well, almost. After the next reboot I did a "saveenv" after the two "setenv", and now U-Boot boots my config from /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf automatically. :)

I'm not interested in overclocking, more in the frequency scaling, and possible power savings (and colder legs, when using the chromebook on top of my lap). I'd also like to try different kernels more easily, which U-Boot seems to be very good for. It's already reading symlinks on my boot device, so installing several different kernels at once, and linking to the latest only, like Debian is doing by default, should be doable. I noticed archlinuxarm only has one version of linux-armv7, so I can't install say version 4.18 and 5.0 at the same time? I think I'm going to give Debian another try on an SD card, to see how it handles this on ARM (and to compare how well other things are working).

It looks like U-Boot is even supporting an interactive menu for kernel selection, pretty much like GRUB... quite interesting.
vman

Postby vman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Disappointing! Having debootstrap'd Debian onto an sd card and trying to boot the distribution's Linux 4.19 from U-Boot I just got a blank screen (no backlight). So that problem, like the broken LPAE, is not solved by using U-Boot either...
vman

Postby reey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 pm

I also worked on this today. My extlinux.conf looks like this:
https://github.com/reey/LinuxOnAcerCB5- ... linux.conf

@vman could you post your extlinux.conf?
Mine is ending at a blank screen (backlight on) and i need to press [CTRL] + [ALT] + [F2] to get into a commandprompt where I can run startx..
I don't understand why I need to run startx.. Maybe I need to change the append line a bit..

We also need to fix u-boot to support LPAE..
with a known working LPAE kernel, like 4.18 I'm getting only 2GB with uboot..

I'm also trying to change the install script to directly install archlinux with uboot..
reey

Postby vman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:11 pm

The exchange on this forum is really helpful: looking at your extlinux.conf i noticed my config was certainly missing something, as I was trying to boot Debian: I had no INITRD line. In fact my extlinux.conf was pretty much what fedup had posted:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE tegra124-nyan-big MMC boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL v-man's kernel
LINUX ../zImage
FDT ../tegra124-nyan-big.dtb
APPEND console=tty0 root=/dev/mmcblk2p3 noinitrd rw rootwait lsm.module_locking=0')

I just changed the timeout (as you did, because it seems to be in a unit of 10s of seconds or so), and I modified the menu label.

Actually I also experienced a non-working display manager (lightdm) the last three days or so... but after an experiment with startx I found I could use SDDM instead. The issue was not related to U-Boot.

So U-Boot does have an impact on the available memory... albeit negative at the moment. :| Maybe a mail to the U-Boot list could help, though? Maybe you want to make a pull-request to them too, for changes to tegra124-nyan-big-u-boot.dtsi (spi-deactivate-delay), tegra124-nyan.dtsi (CPU DFLL clock), and nyan-big.its (padding in description)?
vman

Postby reey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

SDDM instead of lightdm works, thanks.

I would create a pull request, but I never did something like that and I don't know where I should do that..
Do I only need to send my patches in an e-mail?
Is there a guide for that? :D
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I've build kernel with config (not nyan-big_defconfig) provided by reey's github which compiled fine. Now everything works fine. But the OC-Kernel is unstable if no frozen spinach is seated on the device :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have to set CPU governor to ondemand since boot-setting is performance which *will* let the device overheat.
I'm now building kernel without OC but cpufreq-driver enabled. If someone is intressted i could share pre-build packages of both, since it took some time to build.
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:41 pm

I also had some issues with the OC..
I removed it, but maybe I will try 2.3 GHz in the furture...
I've added a 4.20.1 kernel with the old config an without OC but with cpufreq enabled to my git releases..

What I found today, was:
https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot ... s/nyan/big

Maybe this will be the next thing, I try.. :D :D
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I dont know if someone is interested but i did a simple script which links cpu-freq and gpu-freq.

the script is to be found at my github

Another thing is, shouldnt be there a fifth cpu? According to wikipedia there should be a low power companion cpu

Last but not least, has your CB5-311 a BT-module? mine has not but some webpages mention that it has BT 4.0

PLUS: here is a prebuild kernel with 2.3GHz --> Kernel
I've tested the 2.3GHz Kernel for two days with building and gaming and it seems to run stable.
NoDiskNoFun

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia