Nanopi M4 Arch Install. help!

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Nanopi M4 Arch Install. help!

Postby kurauk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi,

Nanopi M4

I am pretty new to this arm stuff, I finally have a board that I am happy with the computing power of.
Arch to me is what linux is about, so I'd love to get this on my device. I've found a few guides about compiling kernels and what not but I've had no success in getting arch up and running on this board. I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some comprehensive guides or of a premade install.

Any news on whether we might get something for this board would be awesome.

Cheers :)

Kura
kurauk

Re: Nanopi M4 Arch Install. help!

Postby TheSaint » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:15 am

I doubt there's the whole thing to setup. You need to prepare the system by yourself, which requires you to have a basic knowledge on how clone partitions, compile stuffs and Arch linux in general.
If Raspian is available, then the least to do is to delete everything from the rootfs. You may get the latest Archlinuxarm for your architecture an cast it into the rootfs.
Later you should copy back the raspian kernel and its module directory, try to boot with it or chroot in it, to issue the command$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ modeprobe -a').
This is the simplest way to start Arch with the raspian kernel. But the kernel won't be upgradeable.
TheSaint

Postby kurauk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('TheSaint', 'I') doubt there's the whole thing to setup. You need to prepare the system by yourself, which requires you to have a basic knowledge on how clone partitions, compile stuffs and Arch linux in general.
If Raspian is available, then the least to do is to delete everything from the rootfs. You may get the latest Archlinuxarm for your architecture an cast it into the rootfs.
Later you should copy back the raspian kernel and its module directory, try to boot with it or chroot in it, to issue the command$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ modeprobe -a').
This is the simplest way to start Arch with the raspian kernel. But the kernel won't be upgradeable.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I just want to clear up a few things. Are you saying I can take an existing OS, it wouldn't be raspbian, it would be Ubuntu based and basically pull the kernel, delete the rootfs, combine that kernel with the .img from the 'general' arch arm? I did wonder this but I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Cheers
kurauk

Postby TheSaint » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am

I'm sorry, sometimes the details remain in my mind.
So it take a working kernel of debian derived (or whichever works on Nanopi). It needs to keep its kernel and modules, final it will be possible to use Arch linux packages and pacman, except for the kernel which is unsure to change. Anyway, can give it a shot.
I have done it with a different ARM, but others proved that is working. Arch linux with a different source kernel.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am

Probably also worth checking if there is a device tree for the nanopi M4 and if that tree is mainline. if that exists you should be able to use a usual kernel.

Other thing to check, these armv8 devices often have secure boot, if this is the case check you understand it before messing. Probably by sticking to an existing structure you be able to get something to boot.
summers

Postby kurauk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you both for the replies. Saint, your first reply was fine, but I had to confirm for myself. Like I said I'm pretty new to Linux and Arch especially on ARM devices. I think this would be an interesting product that I will look in to, but might be a little beyond my skills at this stage, hence why I wondered if there was a guide. This little board seems incredibly powerful and I would love to have arch on it.
kurauk

Postby kurauk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Hey guys,

So I've made a little progress with this project. I have managed to compile the following for the rk3399.

boot.img
MiniLoaderAll.bin
misc.img
oem.img
parameter.txt
recovery.img
rootfs.img
trust.img
uboot.img
userdata.img

Now what I am confused about is the next step. Apparently you would flash this to the rock device with the upgrade tool. Which I cannot get working.

But am I note able to merge this with the general arch arm and write it to an sd card/emmc?
kurauk

Postby neunR » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:03 pm

@kurauk: Did you make any progress?
neunR

Postby kurauk » Tue May 07, 2019 2:20 am

I didn't I cannot for the life of me get this to upload to the device. Sorry for the delay in reply.
kurauk

Return to ARMv8