Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Oh sorry i didnt ...

But yeah if you upload that binary i will try it.
To test u-boot i just need to flash it to "kernel partition" on usb-stick. boot with ctrl+u type enterrcm, connect back usb port and run ./tegra-uboot-flasher exec norrin on my PC?
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('NoDiskNoFun', 'T')o test u-boot i just need to flash it to "kernel partition" on usb-stick. boot with ctrl+u

this is just chainloading

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('NoDiskNoFun', 't')ype enterrcm, connect back usb port and run ./tegra-uboot-flasher exec norrin on my PC

This will boot the uboot, that should go to your spi from ram.

So I don't say, that this would safe, it could happen, that you won't be able to boot u-boot from spi afterwards, so I would definitly recommend an spi clip for recovery..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm

From Github:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Simple Usage - Testing U-Boot
=============================

If you simply want to download an unmodified U-Boot to the Tegra device and
execute it, execute the following as root on the host machine:

tegra-uboot-flasher exec CONFIG

This can be useful for quickly testing changes to U-Boot without writing it
to flash every time. This mode of operation is a very simple wrapper around
tegrarcm, which eliminates the need to remember which BCT to use for each
board configuration.')

seems similar to "fastboot boot boot.img"

anyways, i'll make a backup of my spi as my educator got one of these SPI clips.
NoDiskNoFun

Postby fedup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:16 am

Sadly I couldn't get u-boot as a payload for coreboot to work. I was able to create the CBFS blob and then flash with flashrom -w -i RW_LEGACY:payload. This was worked fine. But when hitting CTRL-l at the white boot screen nothing happens no bleeps etc. It looks as the u-boot payload crashed the machine and I need to hold the down power button to shutdown. Maybe compiling u-boot with a different config may work it's probably not worth the effort now it's possible to flash u-boot to the SPI chip.

I would prefer to use the tegrarcm as described by reey rather than flashing from chromeos. I tried enterrcm from u-boot before it booted linux, does this put the chromebook into same mode as recovery mode?

I'm putting this off until I can boot with LPAE from u-boot. It is no longer an issue with chainloading from coreboot as reey is booting with u-boot from the SPI still has only 2GB. Setting up page tables etc in "arch/arm/lib/cache-cp15.c" . There was a problem which this patch was fixed at the time.

https://git.collabora.com/cgit/user/tomeu/u-boot.git/commit/?h=nyan-big&id=fe558a35ea61396edae885e8aeb4f3502f687333

There have a number of changes made to this file since the above commit was made. The author of the commit thought it might have been fixed but perhaps he hasn't tried it agian.
fedup

Postby reey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 am

@fedup
I've also been trying to setup u-boot as a coreboot payload from the link you provided, but I ended with the same problem as you did..

tegrarcm is not the same mode as the chromeos recovery mode, these are two different things, if you meant that.
with tegrarcm you should end at black screen, with the power led on and the your pc should be able to recognize it as a USB device

On the mailing list they are discussing to activate CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT=y to let linux make use of the full amount of memory.
I've tested this and if you are booting with for example the extlinux.conf file, this is working and I'm getting the 4GB of memory :)
Only problem is, that this flag seems to cause some issues with other things, like efi booting isn't working for me..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:55 am

hey reey, yesterday i tried to chainload your u-boot package but it ended in a white/black blinking screen after the scary boot screen. So i think your u-boot release is not combatible with my 2GB model :cry:
I'm not into debugging on this system or u-boot but if you could give me some advise i'll provide some logfiles (if there are any)

I did a update yesterday which breaks sddm :cry:
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 am

What steps did you try?
How did the scary boot screen look?

you used this package? https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/relea ... ot-2018.11

what you also could do is use this script on an extra sd card:
https://github.com/reey/LinuxOnAcerCB5- ... x-uboot.sh
to boot into u-boot..

This should not have any issues booting from coreboot by pressing crtl + u..
And it should not make any difference how much ram you have..

I also did that update, you just need to downgrade mesa as far as I can tell..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

I downloaded u-boot from your git (yes i used that link) and installed u-boot via pacman. Then i dd'ed u-boot.kpart to mmcblk0p6. I created the extlinux.conf file by copying it from my RockPro64 board and changed append to match that from vman's post on page 11
The scary boot screen shows its normal "press space to disable developer mode", but i think you meant how it looked past that point (where it should show u-boot).
I looked like Star Wars in fast-forward without color :lol:
I mean black ground and white pixels got refreshed than half the screen with white pixels, then refereshed to only black and than from beginning. I think the machine tried and tried again to bring u-boot up

I succsefully setup a bootable usb-stick yesterday with which i reflashed linux kernel on KERN-C.
Your script does install the same package (and u-boot) i got on mmcblk0p6 and on mmcblk1p1 before i flashed a kali image on it, so i dont think it will give an other result, but if you want i'll try again with your script.

Thanks for the hint about downgrading mesa :)
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 am

Do you have the Full HD version or the lower resolution one?
Maybe the lower resolution causes this..

You could check if the /extlinux/extlinux.conf file is correct..
it might be, that you need to change the PARTUUID to the correct PARTUUID of mmcblk0p7..
You might need to replace eigther "@@PARTUUID@@" or the string after "PARTUUID="

with this in place, linux should at least boot up correctly, but it could also be possible, that you need to change the distro_bootpart variable in u-boot in order to boot via that extlinux.conf file..

So I'm not sure what is causing the issue on your model, but this shouldn't be cause by the different amount of memory..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm

No i got the "HD-Ready" version with 1366x768 pixels
Could you build u-boot for my resolution?

i changed already changed it to root=/dev/mmcblk0p7
NoDiskNoFun

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia