what about PI 4

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: what about PI 4

Postby graysky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('andischi', 'T')hank's, great work!!!

With new firmware from last night, wifi works right from (re)boot without any workaround.

... I posted it in official raspberrypi-forum, but without any any response ...

Thank's to Kevin!

...and to you and other active users for pointing it out!
graysky
Developer

Postby Sebbo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm

I just got my Raspberry Pi 4. If i grab the latest Arch Linux ARM on this website. Are there any currently known issues with it? I’m planning to use it as a server so I won’t need accelerated graphics, sound or wifi if there is known issues with that.
Sebbo

Postby graysky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sebbo', 'I') just got my Raspberry Pi 4. If i grab the latest Arch Linux ARM on this website. Are there any currently known issues with it? I’m planning to use it as a server so I won’t need accelerated graphics, sound or wifi if there is known issues with that.

The date on the archive is 06-July so I don't think that includes the latest kernel package which may or may not actually boot on the RPi4.

Install guide: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4

If that doesn't work, do you have a RPi2 or 3? If so, put the image on an uSD per the install guide, boot to that older hardware and update the system to pull down the latest or wait for Kevin (or someone) to update the image.
graysky
Developer

Postby Sebbo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sebbo', 'I') just got my Raspberry Pi 4. If i grab the latest Arch Linux ARM on this website. Are there any currently known issues with it? I’m planning to use it as a server so I won’t need accelerated graphics, sound or wifi if there is known issues with that.

The date on the archive is 06-July so I don't think that includes the latest kernel package which may or may not actually boot on the RPi4.

Install guide: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4

If that doesn't work, do you have a RPi2 or 3? If so, put the image on an uSD per the install guide, boot to that older hardware and update the system to pull down the latest or wait for Kevin (or someone) to update the image.

I do have a RPi3 so I will definitely try that. But there are no currently known issues?
Sebbo

Postby Ciantic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Is there a reason why PI 4 instructions use same image as PI 2 instructions?

Following code snippet is from ( https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4 )
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
wget http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz -C root
sync
')
Will it support the PI 4 bluetooth and other still?
Ciantic

Postby graysky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sebbo', 'I') do have a RPi3 so I will definitely try that. But there are no currently known issues?

Support was only just made available. Issues only become known when users test and report issues :D

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Ciantic', 'I')s there a reason why PI 4 instructions use same image as PI 2 instructions?
Will it support the PI 4 bluetooth and other still?

Because the 2, 3, and 4 all use the same armv7h image. It should support BT but see above regarding testing.
My AUR packagesMy zsh configsStreamzap remote config
graysky
Developer

Postby jmmec » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:27 am

FWIW in case this helps someone...

I just got a 2GB version of the Pi4 in the mail and did the following to get it to boot this evening:

1. On a Pi3 board, I last updated Arch about 2 months ago (!), so did a "pacman -Syyu" to update everything to latest, and then did a reboot to make sure that the Pi3 booted up OK.

2. Installed the SD in the Pi4 and it wouldn't boot: the red light came on, and the green light flickered a bit and stopped. No boot.

3. Verified that the EEPROM on the Pi4 wasn't corrupted by following the instructions:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Recovery

If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
')

4. Pulled the SD card and edited the "/boot/config.txt" file such that it only contains the line below, so commented out everything else including stuff about enabling the camera (that I have on the Pi3), etc...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
')

5. Reinstalled the SD card and the Pi4 booted right up, and WiFi is working just fine: I'm running it headless since I don't have an HDMI adapter, but my WiFi network settings were already installed from using it on the Pi3, so I was able to ssh into it.

I don't know what settings in my config.txt were causing it not to boot, and I haven't tested anything else, but so far it at least boots.

Regards
jmmec

Postby freestyler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:41 pm

But isn't pi4 armv8 capable Graysky?
freestyler

Postby graysky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:40 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('freestyler', 'B')ut isn't pi4 armv8 capable Graysky?

It can run either armv7h or aarch64 just like the Pi3 series but I have never tried using aarch64 with the Pi4.
graysky
Developer

Postby GeorgeRaven » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', '
')
It can run either armv7h or aarch64 just like the Pi3 series but I have never tried using aarch64 with the Pi4.

Yep I can confirm rpi2 variant booted into an old pi 3 and updated works fine on the pi4 if you want 32 bit.

However attempting the same process with aarch64 does not work on the pi4. What ended up happening is becoming stuck on the initial boot screen which is just a colored rainbow image on screen. :? Image
GeorgeRaven

PreviousNext

Return to Community