Asus Tinker Board, compiling the kernel

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Asus Tinker Board, compiling the kernel

Postby TheSaint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:08 am

Hello forum,
I confess no skill to compile the kernel so I need some guidance. My scope is to modify the module r8723bs that it would act as STA and AP, see this link, perhaps by the help of online translation :P
Then I also need to modify the way to add gpiomem patch to the kernel, if it isn't yet there.
The second patch I had to do it manually, because it didn't succeeded, so please give me the list of operation to follow.
I tried
  • zcat /proc/config.gz >/tmp/<linux-5.2.0/.config
  • I didn't find the tinker-s.def_config
  • trying to compile with a primer check make menuconfig ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4
  • compiling the kernel make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4 >> got 4 errors
  • compiling the modules make modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4

I think I need to solve the errors that stopping the result. But honestly is a nightmare to understand where the errors starting from.
TheSaint

Re: Asus Tinker Board, compiling the kernel

Postby TheSaint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 am

Sorry to bump this case. My experiments doesn't go much farther than spending hours to see a couple errors coming up all of the times. Luckily I have a fast processor.
So even trying to get out config.gz and compiling without modifications...
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4 > /tmp/compile.log
make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.elf', needed by 'drivers/base/firmware_loader/builtin/am335x-pm-firmware.elf.gen.o'. Stop.
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:489: drivers/base/firmware_loader/builtin] Error 2
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:489: drivers/base/firmware_loader] Error 2
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:489: drivers/base] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1071: drivers] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
')Perhaps it isn't needed that firmware, but how to disable it?
The kernel in use is $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ uname -a
Linux alarm 5.2.0-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 9 00:30:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux')
I downloaded the kernel 5.2.0 from kernel.org....

Please help me to get things going.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 am

Didn't I compile a kernel for you at some stage? If so don't think it was that hard. I probably worked from one of the defconfig files - its where I'd look first, is there one set up for your chipset. Try that first.

Also I'd first see if you can get it to compile on the native machine (expect it to take over a day to compile). If that works, then see if you can reproduce using cross compilation.

This should help: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/linux-veyron/files/PKGBUILD its for the old kernel 3.14 - but may give some ideas. I guess modern kernel works with general armv7 kernel + device tree ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:43 am

I used to cross compile. But I can't figure which config I should use. The tinker_defconfig doesn't exists anymore.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('TheSaint', 'I') used to cross compile. But I can't figure which config I should use. The tinker_defconfig doesn't exists anymore.

I think IIRC you now use a generic armv7 kernel, and the device tree.

You should be able to get what the kernel was compiled with is /proc/config.gz

IIRC some though compilations have some odd firmware dependence ...
summers

Postby moonman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Compile on your arm device, and offload to your faster x86 with distcc https://archlinuxarm.org/wiki/Distcc_Cross-Compiling
It should get rid of the weird compile time errors and it will still be much faster that compiling just on your arm board. The cross toolchain is also provided in the link above.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to ARMv7h