Pogoplug V2 not booting with 5.2.9-1-ARCH

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Pogoplug V2 not booting with 5.2.9-1-ARCH

Postby woody » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm

I'm trying to upgrade several Pogoplugs to a mainline kernel. I upgraded the U-boot on my test box to the 2017.07 U-boot created by bodhi that's on the doozan.com website. I installed a new Arch Linux Arm system on an SD card, then upgraded it to the mainline kernel.

With bodhi's help I've gotten it to the point that it will start to boot. Several processes fail during the boot process:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[FAILED] Failed to start Entropy Harvesting Daemon.
Failed to start Network Time Synchronization.
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Name Resolution.
[FAILED] Failed to start Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service.
[FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service.
')

I get a login prompt on the TTY terminal, but it doesn't accept my password, so I can't log in. Does anybody know what the problem might be or have ideas on how to fix this?
woody

Re: Pogoplug V2 not booting with 5.2.9-1-ARCH

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:21 pm

First of all, why not use our U-Boot?
Which kernel are you referring to? linux-kirkwood-dt?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby woody » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for getting back to me I just switched to the the 2016.09 Arch u-boot and that got me up and running on the mainline kernel (linux-kirkwood-dt). I guess I was just complicating things by trying to use the 2017 u-boot which is set up for Debian.

Now, I have only 2 issues:

1. The rescue system is not set up in the environment variables. I may be able to tinker with it and get that to work.
2. It seems that this u-boot is not reading my uEnv.txt file at boot time. I see that it's referenced in the environment variables, so it seems like it should work, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions?
woody

Postby moonman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:31 am

What functionality were you looking for in bodhi's U-Boot that's not it ALARM's? There is nothing wrong with running a different u-boot, it's just in that case you are expected to know how to set it up.

1. It is setup to boot from NAND ubi volume if there is no other media to boot from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8383
2. It does read uEnv.txt it has to be placed under "/boot" though, not "/" and it does expect certain variable names, depending on what your goal is. https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... e02.txt#L5
Can you show me what's inside of your uEnv.txt
Also, are you sure you are running the latest version available in our repos and not what you flash by following the installation instructions? You can check with
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'strings /dev/mtd0 | grep U-Boot\ 2')
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby woody » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:36 pm

1. So I think you're saying that if rescue is installed, it should boot into rescue if there's nothing else to boot from?

2. I was trying to use bodhi's u-boot because I assumed that it was backwards compatible with the one in the Arch repo. I was trying to stay ahead of the curve and install the more recent of the two. In spite of bodhi's assistance, it didn't really work out for me.

I do have my uEnv.txt file in /boot. Here's what's in it:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ncip=192.168.123.54
ncipk=192.168.123.54
')

I installed the u-boot using pacman. Here's the output
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep U-Boot\ 2
U-Boot 2016.09.01-1 (Oct 10 2016 - 23:12:58 -0600) Arch Linux ARM
')

Also, I tested trying to boot with no media attached, and I got this in the serial console:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Trying to boot from NAND ...
ubi0: attaching mtd1
UBI init error 22
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi0:rootfs' errno=-19!
ubifsmount - mount UBIFS volume')

This looks like a failed attempt to boot into rescue. Do I need to reinstall the rescue system?
woody

Postby moonman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:41 pm

netconsole gets initialized before uEnv.txt is read. You would need to make the change directly into the u-boot config with fw_setenv.

Yeah, looks like like rescue is corrupt or not installed properly.
moonman
Developer

Postby woody » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm confused. I set the ncip and ncipk variables using fw_setenv, and netconsole works ok. As a test, I put a different 'ethaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx' (changing the last 2 digits) in /boot/uEnv.txt. When I boot up and run 'fw_printenv ethaddr' I see the one that's stored permanently, not the one in uEnv.txt. Shouldn't the ethaddr in /boot/uEnv.txt override the one stored in nand?
woody

Postby moonman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:38 pm

fw_printenv will only print what's stored in nand. It does not read uEnv.txt file.
uEnv.txt is an extension to the env variables stored in nand. Change ethaddr with fw_setenv as well. I'm pretty sure the one from uEnv.txt will not be used.
moonman
Developer

Postby woody » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm just trying to test whether the variables set in uEnv.txt are being used. So far, I haven't been able to see anything that's changed by the variables set in the file.

When I was testing the bodhi u-boot, I believe I was able to set an arbitrary value in uEnv.txt and it would be viewable after boot up. I know, for instance, that I could set ethaddr. This u-boot seems to work differently. Are the variables that can be set in uEnv.txt limited to certain specific ones?
woody

Postby moonman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:25 pm

IIRC he has a different mechanism of detecting rootfs partition, so it is possible he loads uEnv earlier.

But, in our U-Boot, anything that gets executed after uEnv is loaded can be changed via uEnv https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... 02.txt#L26

- kernel arguments
- initramfs file name
- kernel load address
- uImage/zImage location
etc. see the link above

so you can for example put optargs=audit=0 in uEnv.txt to disable audit messages or root=/dev/sdXY to specify a different rootfs partition if your rootfs partition is different from kernel partition.
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood