[OFFICIAL] RaspberryPi: The 25$ PC

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

[OFFICIAL] RaspberryPi: The 25$ PC

Postby Frex » Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Have you seen this? Didn't quite know where to put this post, anyway: HDMI out, 1 USB port, 700 MHz ARM11 processor and 128 MB RAM. What do you people think of it?
Frex

Re: The 25$ PC

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm

We have, and as soon as we can get proper communications with the manufacturer, we'll provide any more info we receive.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Frex » Fri May 06, 2011 5:44 pm

That's great, thank you!
Frex

Postby floydbloke » Fri May 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I just came across this too. Looks fantastic, has it got an ethernet connection though?

And cynically going by experience, device price: $25, shipping to New Zealand: $50. Although it it comes from the UK we may receive something a little more affordable.
floydbloke

Postby Frex » Fri May 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Doesn't look like it has one, but the article says:

"It also looks as though modules can be attached such as the 12MP camera seen in the image above."

If that's true maybe an ethernet NIC can be plugged in, instead of the camera. Anyway, since it has one USB port, I guess you could still use a USB hub to add ports and then connect a USB WiFi dongle or Ethernet adapter.

Edit: if you take a closer look to the picture, it seems that's precisely what they're doing.
Frex

Postby floydbloke » Sat May 07, 2011 6:44 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Frex', 'D')oesn't look like it has one, but the article says:

"It also looks as though modules can be attached such as the 12MP camera seen in the image above."

If that's true maybe an ethernet NIC can be plugged in, instead of the camera. Anyway, since it has one USB port, I guess you could still use a USB hub to add ports and then connect a USB WiFi dongle or Ethernet adapter.

Edit: if you take a closer look to the picture, it seems that's precisely what they're doing.

Good spotting. Looks like a little D-Link USB-Ethernet adapter.
Trying to figure out now how it's powered, something to do with the blue ribbon cable maybe.
floydbloke

Postby Frex » Sat May 07, 2011 12:37 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('floydbloke', 'G')ood spotting. Looks like a little D-Link USB-Ethernet adapter.

Thought the same, I even went on the D-Link site to find it but for some reason I was unable. Not the first time I had problems locating a D-Link product on the official despite me having proof of its existence .

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('floydbloke', 'T')rying to figure out now how it's powered, something to do with the blue ribbon cable maybe.

Yeah, but I would expect an embedded to only need two wires for power, so maybe JTAG+serial?
Frex

Postby pepedog » Sat May 07, 2011 3:09 pm

That is a d-link dubE100 USB 2 Ethernet, I have one, not all firmware work with Linux. The apple version uses same driver and is 1/4 the size.
Notice the USB is a plug, not a socket? It might take power that way? I think the ribbon is serial or jtag.
I wrote to the address, Eben Upton replied only saying they will be available to general public next year. The website is registered to Cambridge, which is where arm CPU was invented, and is only 60 miles away.
pepedog
Developer

Postby Frex » Sat May 07, 2011 4:33 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'N')otice the USB is a plug, not a socket? It might take power that way?

That's a possibility I had thought about but then dismissed, but on second thought you might be very well right.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'T')he website is registered to Cambridge, which is where arm CPU was invented, and is only 60 miles away.

Nice touch :D

Anyway I realized the thing has already a Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Braben as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Braben
Frex

Postby pepedog » Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Found some info via tweets, makes it even better.
Yes. eg Dolby 5.1 via HDMI.
Device has full internet access (wirelessly) and a MicroSD slot (up to 32Gb) so loading/saving/sharing is fine.
Via @DavidBraben 
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi