Raspberry Pi 4 DNS Issues

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Raspberry Pi 4 DNS Issues

Postby fiji885 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:58 am

Hello.

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 and have installed the ARM version of Arch Linux on it. I think I may be having issues with my DNS. I am using netctl to connect to my home router. My netctl profile was generated from wifi-menu. I can connect and I am assigned an IPv4 address, however, I can't ping Google nor can I ping any other machine outside my network. I basically do not have Internet access. I have already tried searching for others who had this issues, and it seems like everyone has different experiences.

I have tried adding the 8.8.8.8 to my resolv.conf, but that will only give me access to some websites.

My output of my netctl config
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Description='Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu'
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless
Security=wpa
ESSID=home
IP=dhcp
Key=password
')

Output of /etc/resolvconf.conf
# Configuration for resolvconf(8)
# See resolvconf.conf(5) for details

resolv_conf=/etc/resolv.conf
# If you run a local name server, you should uncomment the below line and
# configure your subscribers configuration files below.
#name_servers=127.0.0.1
')

Output of /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 192.168.0.1
')

I only managed to setup my desktop environment on my Raspberry Pi 4 because I used an Ethernet cable. In my experiences with setting up previous Arch Linux's, you still had to manually specify that you were going to use an Ethernet cable by running dhcpcd. Not so much with the RPI4 because I didn't have to run that command at all. I assume there an enabled service that is possibly interfering with my DNS.

I am very noob when it comes to configuring networks on Arch Linux, so please tell me which commands to run if more information is needed. TYVM.
fiji885

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 DNS Issues

Postby cyberpunkrocker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi!
I had the same issue with Pi Zero W. Please see https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14056 for a solution which worked at least on rp0w 8-)
cyberpunkrocker

Postby summers » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:53 am

First off check if you can access the internet: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ping 8.8.8.8')

If that works, then problem with name resolution.

Are you using netctl or systemd-networkd? Usually arch these days uses the systemd set up.

Under systemd name resolution is done by systemd-resolved - so check that service is running. Also check if resolv.conf is a link: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ls -l /etc/resolv.conf')

Systemd-resolved usually gets the DNS service from the dhcp process.

This should be enough to find the source of the problem.

Oh yes - its unlikely to be a routing problem - the output of $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ip route')should confirm.
summers

Postby graysky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:57 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'A')re you using netctl or systemd-networkd? Usually arch these days uses the systemd set up.

Stop using netctl/too quirky. systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved just work out of the box.
graysky
Developer

Postby summers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:39 am

You still need to establish if you are using netctl or networkd. The latter link /etc/resolv.conf into a virtual file in /run, so you can't just simply write to it. Also its far better getting DNS from dhcp, as this means you'd get something local.

Edit: Hmmm had a post deleted from this thread, still I'll leave this post as it contains an important message ...
summers

Postby summers » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:15 pm

JIKITA, it is good you have read the other threads. It should help you establish what the problem is:

1) Miss configured network vs DNS not working ("ip a" vs "ping 8.8.8.8")

The network configuration without a dhcp server has been explain on the other thread you have posted on.

DNS not working, is tricky - many people have reported the problem, but few have reported a solution found. Those that have found a solution, and its usually DNSSEC related.

Maybe best find the person that has had most similar problems to you, and PM them, see if they found a solution. Otherwise you'll need to explain your set up in a bit more detail.
summers

Postby summers » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 pm

summers

Return to User Questions