Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which installation ?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which installation ?

Postby qlem » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am

Hello,

I'm confused about the choice between the two installation from the wiki. What are the concrete differences between ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest and ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest and what does that mean ?

I looking for set up my raspberry pi as a media center server, maybe with Kodi. What is the best choice between these two version for that purpose ?
qlem

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which installation ?

Postby azzu » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Honestly, Raspbian instead of Arch would be the choice.

The difference between the two is that the one is for the Raspberry Pi 2, the other for the Raspberry Pi 3.
azzu

Postby qlem » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm

But why the documentation say to use ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest "if you require any of the vendor's kernel hacks, overlays, or closed-source GPU blobs and utilities" or to use ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest "only if you have no dependencies on the closed source vendor libraries shipped in the ARMv7 release" ?

We should use ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest on RB 3 B+ to have full dependencies or not ? If i use ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest, which dependencies will be missing ?

The documentation is not very clear about that.
qlem

Postby andrewboring » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm

RPi-2-latest contains a 32-bit kernel and bootloader from the Raspberry Pi foundation and the Raspberry-pi "firmware" package which contains all the userspace libraries/tools to allow direct access to various hardware features of the Raspberry Pi (eg, the GPU).

RPi-3-latest contains a 64-bit mainline Linux kernel and the Universal Boot Loader (U-boot) to crank the system. The kernel does include device tree overlays ("drivers") to provide kernel access to some features, like the GPU. But not all Raspberry Pi features are available, and those that are must go through the kernel to use them.

Beyond that, all the standard Arch Linux stuff is as you would expect from the Intel side, but ported to ARM.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') looking for set up my raspberry pi as a media center server, maybe with Kodi. What is the best choice between these two version for that purpose ?

RPi-2-latest is the version you probably want. I haven't used Kodi on RPi, but I do recall reading that omxplayer was written for it (dunno if it's a dependency). You won't get omxplayer on RPi-3-latest at all, though there has been some recent work to move that forward. Some other Kodi features may not work on the RPI-3-latest version either, if they require the raspberrypi-firmware package.
andrewboring

Postby solskogen » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Because the tarball for rpi3 is 64bit.
solskogen

Postby graysky » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('azzu', 'H')onestly, Raspbian instead of Arch would be the choice.

...why???

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('solskogen', 'B')ecause the tarball for rpi3 is 64bit.

This is the best answer. Official (RPi Foundation) support of 64-bit is not currently there. If you want hardware accelerated video playback for Kodi, use RPI2 image. Our Kodi packages (for example kodi-rbp3) use a patched kodi which uses MMAL and hardware decoding so you can play back 10-bit/x265 content. The official Kodi will not do this.
graysky
Developer

Return to User Questions