Disadvantages of Pogoplug Pro?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Disadvantages of Pogoplug Pro?

Postby pepedog » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am

They are not pretty, but I got a "plop in" type esata dock.
Twice I have had 3.5 drives in enclosures fail. One (from new) shuts down after 30 minutes every time, so I knew it was heat issues.
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri May 13, 2011 12:21 pm

I use Thermaltake Black X docks, which provide either usb or eSATA. But, keep in mind, the sata controller on the pro does not support multiplexers, so if you use the Duet, you cannot have 2 drives hooked in via SATA.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby BinaryJay » Sat May 14, 2011 5:48 am

I would have thought the dual core in the pro would be a performance disadvantage in most uses for the plug and not an advantage given the (assumably) straight single thread performance advantage of V2. The only thing I can really think of that may benefit from it overall is audio transcoding which when I last tried it on mine was too slow to keep up in order to serve an MPD http stream.

Having eSata would definitely be nice when moving files to and from the thing, as USB really bottlenecks it in this situation. I might pick up a Pro if I ever see them going sub $50 to play around with, though right now I already have two V2s and so far have not found a reasonable use for the second one as it is.

Then again, you just KNOW that a USB3 iteration of the Pro is going to come eventually which will require no modification to expose and with USB3 promising to come as the defacto standard interface on portable storage equipment it may just make sense to wait on that.

There's also this:
http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thun ... /index.htm

But it's going to be a miracle, I think, if that takes off with any success.
BinaryJay

Postby qashar » Sat May 14, 2011 1:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BinaryJay', 'H')aving eSata would definitely be nice when moving files to and from the thing, as USB really bottlenecks it in this situation. I might pick up a Pro if I ever see them going sub $50 to play around with, though right now I already have two V2s and so far have not found a reasonable use for the second one as it is.

Pogoplug Pro for 50$ at JR.com
http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOP01/
And if you are looking for some SATA port, why not going with the GoFlex Net? The fact of having only one USB can be overcome using a usb hub.
qashar

Postby slycat » Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('qashar', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BinaryJay', 'H')aving eSata would definitely be nice when moving files to and from the thing, as USB really bottlenecks it in this situation. I might pick up a Pro if I ever see them going sub $50 to play around with, though right now I already have two V2s and so far have not found a reasonable use for the second one as it is.

Pogoplug Pro for 50$ at JR.com
http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOP01/
And if you are looking for some SATA port, why not going with the GoFlex Net? The fact of having only one USB can be overcome using a usb hub.

For those in the States, BestBuy has it for the same $50 as a *clearance*. Next time i go to work I can find the SKU so if the store you go to doesn't have it you can ask them to check others.
GoFlexers can get the Net for sub $80 too.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby ezjam » Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 am

Hey slycat,

I went to local BestBuy today and none of the plugs in stock were on clearance. When you get a chance, if you can post the SKU that would be most excellent. It would allow me to search elsewhere w/o having to do the drive.

thanx
ezjam
ezjam

Postby BinaryJay » Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Yeah $50 + $46 or something ridiculous for shipping to Canada (what a joke).

Best Buy Canada has it on sale for $70, which is also a joke considering our dollar is worth more than the US dollar.
BinaryJay

Postby slycat » Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Sorry for the wait, ezjam. I am slowly leaving the retail business so I am working less.

The SKU should be 1378131. Call a store, hit 0 for the usually-cute phone operator, ask to see if they have the sku and for what price. If they don't have it the inventory system is more than capable to check other stores within the area. Cloud Engines has since released the Video and other pogos so the Pro is most definitely on clearance, therefore the store won't receive anymore nor will they be available through the website. Down here in Miami, FL, at least 6 stores still have it (probably because my fellow Cubans don't give three hoots about cloud storage nor any kind of server functions for that matter).

BinaryJay,
Have you tried FutureShops? They're sister companies to BestBuy in Canada, they might have it. If not I guess the best bet would be other online stores, canadian-based to bypass that horrid shipping rate. OOORRR you might actually find the new P21 at the FutureShop that might be less expensive than a shipped Pro (lose the wifi though).

BTW as a note, I had my first crash. I was running transmission daemon, samba (redundantly), was ssh'd in from school to start a flac2mp3 conversion using ffmpeg (batched with a for-loop statement) AND then connected with WinSCP to retrieve a VB project for school. 20 seconds into the sftp transfer the plug locked up. 4gb swap file. So unless you plan to do serious multi-loading the Pro has awesome potential.
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby BinaryJay » Tue May 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Future Shop (once independent, some years ago bought by Best Buy) does not carry the Pogo Plug - only Best Buy does.

Best Buy here only carries the V2 and Pro (with WiFi). I bought my V2s from Best Buy for $50 ... it's only a matter of time before the Pros get down to that pricing. I just find it sickening how they gouge us on pricing based on years out of date currency exchange rates on some items even to this day.

I mean, none of these products are made in the US - it's not like there is any significantly different cost to getting them into the two different distribution channels. Canadians just got used to paying more for the same products through the years when our dollar was valuated lower than the USD and since that has flipped nobody has bothered to change the pricing models and we just keep blindly paying whatever the asking price is like fools.

The actual shipping cost for JR.com to ship a pogoplug to Canada is probably a good 5x less than what they are charging as well.
BinaryJay

Postby slycat » Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BinaryJay', 'I') just find it sickening how they gouge us on pricing based on years out of date currency exchange rates on some items even to this day.

I mean, none of these products are made in the US - it's not like there is any significantly different cost to getting them into the two different distribution channels. Canadians just got used to paying more for the same products through the years when our dollar was valuated lower than the USD and since that has flipped nobody has bothered to change the pricing models and we just keep blindly paying whatever the asking price is like fools.

I'll agree with you on that. Last year I visited Victoria, BC and reviewed XE.com for the exchange rate, yet canadian prices were still high. I'll agree to Best Buy also loading prices but not as much as some may think. Employees get purchases 5% above cost (note: not retail value) and in most cases it was hardly 2% markup. Before I leave I planned on getting a Nikon D7000 to replace my D40 :D however B&HPhoto has it for less than BBY cost (probably due to contract between B&H and Nikon, also price jumps since the Japan earthquakes). But you got the best idea: hold out for price-drops like other non-impulsive shoppers. Besides "if your V2s ain't broke, don't fix 'em!" ;)
I wish you luck on your economic revolution there!
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported