Pine64 hardware / kernel mod

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Pine64 hardware / kernel mod

Postby domnoble » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:52 pm

I have two of these pine64+ 2G boards one connected to a TV over hdmi running archlinuxarm/blackarch seeing as they have aarch64 support, with xfce4/xorg which i built using alarm wiki not from pine64/anarsoul, another running android using the goodix screen which was previously working on mainline armbian as a hass.io kiosk.,... the problem is i dont really like the debian ecosystem in comparison to arch

what i want to do is get the rtl8723bs drivers for the cheapo wifi/bt and the goodix touchscreen working with dsi output so i can make the whole setup transportable, i know its all supported in mainline but the default kernel config in archlinuxarm is heavily cut down, lots of modules uncompiled, large amount of the touchscreen drivers etc, so they cant be enabled with insmod or modprobe

so far ive tried a couple of things compiling linux from git and also using the archlinuxarm PKGBUILDs, didnt seem to be able to work out how to enable different kernel to boot when compiling from kernel.org and when i ran makepkg on the archlinuxarm version it totally fudged the bootloader, or the main partition, seemed like it was trying to boot from PXE/TFTP wasnt looking for boot.scr any more, didnt seem to be able to find out how to fix it, luckily i have it backed up...

is there any good documentation on compiling custom kernel on archlinuxarm or how to get these modules compiled without recompiling the entire kernel ?
Last edited by domnoble on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
domnoble

Re: Pine64 hardware / kernel mod

Postby domnoble » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:20 pm

so if i took the same kernel im using from kernel.org and compiled it with make again then `make modules_install` should technically add in the modules once ive changed the kernel config to reflect hardware reqs ? do i then have to repeat this with every new kernel or will pacman know to install extra modules each time from /proc/config ? or would it then break my setup every upgrade of linux kernel if i did them with pacman ?

is there not like a specific way of enabling modules on archlinuxarm, i know normally arch kernel not so cut down, but for obvious reasons this is something you might want to do with arm, streamline the kernel, would using a different package manager to install kernel from source each upgrade rather than precompiled version with pacman solve the issue with upgrades, like with yay or blackman using archlinuxarm PKGBUILDs ? bearing in mind not cross compiling.. compiling on device...takes ages...long story short got no decent computers to cross compile on right now
domnoble

Return to ARMv8 Devices