Pogoplug V3 (not Pro, not Video)

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Pogoplug V3 (not Pro, not Video)

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Alright:

WARNING: V3 has seperate Kernel!

Seems the V3 is actually not just missing the PCIe socket, but the entire chipset... This makes the kernel mad if PCI is compiled in. Sincerest apologized for anyone in a pickle by this on the original setup. We'll see what we can do to help you get straightened out.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Pogoplug V3 (not Pro, not Video)

Postby pumkinut » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 am

I guess I'll be waiting.
pumkinut

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:37 pm

We have a working kernel for the P21, but want to alter the rootfs & install script in order to reflect this. I'll get back to you asap.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby DavidYon » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

Just bought a PogoPlug P21 model, not realizing that there was such a seismic architectural change in the hardware. I've seen conflicting reports on whether I can put your kernel on there. This thread seems to imply it's not possible, but the http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Install_on_Pogoplug_Pro topic implies that it can be done.

Where's the definitive answer on this? Is it still a work in progress? Is it done "enough" for a fairly literate person to make it work?

Thanks much...
DavidYon

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

I can supply you with the working P21 kernel uImage without a problem

The trick here is that I have been extremely busy lately, due to a shift in the company that has moved me from a Sr Programmer Analyst to IT Director.

I really just need to find time in my off hours to update the install script and the rootfs.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby DavidYon » Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Appreciate the offer, I guess I was more interested how close guys are to making V3 support "mainstream". It sounds like it's close, but the process at the moment isn't officially documented, nor is there a solidified, downloadable installation kit that is as turnkey as for the earlier PogoPlugs. Is that a fair assessment?

I understand you're busy, but any rough idea as to when you'll be able to post something for the V3 that won't require a user pestering you directly for binaries and installation instructions? I'll gladly accept the latter for now if you have the time, but I'd also love to see an official kit show up in an easy-to-find spot on the Wiki.

Thanks for all the work you folks have done, this is seriously cool stuff. It's a shame that the manufacturers don't seem to have the vision and/or horsepower to really maximize this technology---it could be so much more than what's in the box now.
DavidYon

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 pm

In the end, the easy to find/documented setup on the wiki will be what is already there, except that the detection routines will be in place to assert which kernel gets written to NAND.

The ceboardid uboot variable/blparam is what lets me know which kind of board it is being installed on, and then it simply switches the uImage that is placed (uImage & uImage.P21 are present). I also need to build a new rootfs, as it is getting out of date :p
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby DavidYon » Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 pm

So, to be clear, if I follow the directions in http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Install_on_Pogoplug_Pro on my V3, it will All Just Work(tm)? Or if there is some alternate binaries I need, where can I get them? Will it be obvious where to swap them out? Is there anything else that is subtley different about getting on the air with the V3 vs the Pro?

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions. I'm familiar with many Linux variants, but I'm not familiar with the nuances of what you folks have been working. Never used pacman before (I've done rpm, aptitude, apt-get, pkgadd, etc), definitely don't know what you're talking about with "ceboardid uboot variable/blparam", or lusb, etc. If there's a place in the Wiki that explains that, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Again, thanks for any help you can give.
DavidYon

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu May 19, 2011 7:54 pm

At the moment the instructions on the Wiki will NOT work for the V3 needs the alternate kernel and additional script logic.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby DavidYon » Thu May 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Anything I can do to help? I'm a 25-year veteran of the SW industry, including drivers and Linux systems.
DavidYon

Next

Return to Community Supported