How to easily run aarch64 on RPi4

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Re: How to easily run aarch64 on RPi4

Postby littlemike » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Hey moonman,

First of all, thank you for this. I'm rusty in my Linux skills, so I decided to jump right in and build Arch for one of my RPi 4's and this has come in very handy.

One thing I'm having difficulty with is WiFi, however. It looks like your firmware is using the vanilla brcmfmac43455-sdio-.bin file and the RPi 4 has a newer one. Sakaki did some sorcery with updating it on Gentoo, but I haven't the first clue on how to get it updated using your firmware. Any tips you can give me or can you point me in the right direction?

Sorry if this is unrelated enough. I figured it was appropriate in this thread rather than creating a new one. If that's not okay, please let me know.

Thanks!
littlemike

Postby starquake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:01 pm

So if I want aarch64 on my RPi4 what should I use? The moonman images or the RPI 3B+ one?

What's the difference?
starquake

Postby WebReflection » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:06 pm

The current aarch64 works on the Pi4 too, just swapping the card should give you a boot. Not everything works (yet) though, so I guess patience is one option, Manjaro on old 4.X kernel another one (that's where I build my AUR packages and everything works fine).
WebReflection

Postby littlemike » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 pm

@WebReflection - that's what I'm currently using - Manjaro. I have another microSD with AARCH64 on it that I cobbled together from moonman but wifi doesn't appear to be working on the RPi 4/8GB because the so files are for a different chipset. If I knew enough to update/fix them myself, I'd continue to use it. It's really barebones and I like that. But yeah, we just have to have patience for now. An "official" set of drivers and whatnot will come, I'm sure. I'm learning a lot, so that's been the main goal.
littlemike

Postby keithspg » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 pm

For me, I noticed that iwd was erroring out at startup. I posted to @moonman a change to the kernel config that I used to build a new kernel to get wifi working. I have mine running as an audio appliance and have nginx/php/mpd/i2s/wifi working.
keithspg

Postby keithspg » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Does anyone know why an nfs mount in my /etc/fstab does not mount at boot with this kernel/image? Does it have to do with uboot, somehow? I created this image by making a clean image with the aarch64 image:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz')
then build moonman's kernel and then installed it then built and installed the userland from this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/raspberrypi-userland-aarch64-git/')
The line is:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '192.168.2.198:/mnt/stuff /mnt nfs _netdev,rw,vers=4.1 0 0
')
This same line works when I boot the same device on the same network as armv7, but fails when I boot it as aarch64.

After I get a prompt, I can always 'mount -a' and it mounts, so I do have everything needed (nfs wise) installed, it is just strange to me that I cannot get it to do this at boot. I am running a kernel compiled with moonman's PKGBUILD but with 1 mod:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'diff config8 ../moonman/linux-raspberrypi4/config8
7321c7321
< CONFIG_PKCS8_PRIVATE_KEY_PARSER=m
---
> # CONFIG_PKCS8_PRIVATE_KEY_PARSER is not set
')
I made this mod to the kernel config to get iwd running. It is:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Linux build64 5.4.45-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 1 20:34:37 CDT 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
')

Other than this minor issue, everything I need seems to work. I have an i2s card and a 3.5" tft resistive touchscreen loaded as dtoverlays and have connman/iwd managing the ethernet connections.
keithspg

Postby msilletti » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:02 pm

What are the difference between moonman images for aarch64 on RP4 and the official images for aarch64?
msilletti

Postby moonman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 am

Official ALARM image uses mainline kernel + U-Boot to boot it up which is the mainline way to boot up.
My images use the forked RPi kernel which gets loaded and executed without U-Boot.

FYI: my images are now EOL since official ALARM support is here and there will not be updates anymore.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Previous

Return to ARMv8 Devices