Kernel Image Too Large

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Kernel Image Too Large

Postby apokalypz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 pm

I have the mainline linux-aarch64 kernel installed on my Samsung Chromebook Plus and a recent update to 5.8 seems to have broken things. When pacman tries to write the kernel image to the kernel partition, dd throws an error "No space left on device" and doesn't boot. The problem seems simple, the generalized kernel image used for most devices, linux-aarch64, has outgrown this paprticular pot and needs a bigger one (or needs to be pruned down). I can always build my own (and probably should anyway), but I figured I'd make the issue known.

Thanks guys.
apokalypz

Re: Kernel Image Too Large

Postby gerardr » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Note, too, that even rebuilding the drive to have a 48 MB Kernel partition does not help.

Using the Image file packed with the 5.8 kernel and building vmlinux.kpart does not build a usable Kernel partition. (However, using the Image file packed with the 5.7.8 kernel and the same script *does* create a workable vmlinux.kpart that also works from the new 48 MB Kernel partition.)

I also see that despite Arch Linux amd64 being at kernel 5.8.5, no new kernel has been built for either armv7 or aarch64 since the failing 5.8.0-1.

I'm guessing there's some issue with the 5.8.x kernel builds.
gerardr

Postby divVerent » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Same problem as viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14682 which was ignored too.

Where does one report bugs for these packages? Clearly here is the wrong place.

Anyway, I have a workaround - small patch to the PKGBUILD to make a smaller kernel (but you may need to retain a different arch, not sure if your laptop is ROCKCHIP too). The size is actually the problem, looks like the bootloader is limited to 32 MiB for you too then.
divVerent

Postby gerardr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

The proper top-level topic to report bugs is 'Packages'.

Yes, it appears that the size of the output of vbutil_kernel needs to be less than 32MB. (So, there was no need for me to experiment with a 48MB Kernel partition.) I have a Rockchip RK3399 based Chromebook.

If you could post your patch as an issue with the package 'linux-aarch64-chromebook' in the Packages topic, it should get a look.

Thanks!
gerardr

Return to ARMv8