RPi4 users with 4k display able to test out kodi-rbp4-git

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

RPi4 users with 4k display able to test out kodi-rbp4-git

Postby graysky » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm asking if there are any RPi4 users here who also have a 4K HDTV willing to test out the kodi-rbp4-git package with a freely available x265 movie source. For my test machine on a cheap 4k display (no built in audio), I see visual artifacts when I try playback @ 4k that aren't there @ 2k.

To test, just install the package which is currently in the repos. https://s3.amazonaws.com/x265.org/video/BigBuckBunny_2000hevc.mp4 is a link to the test video. The question is simple: does it play back smoothly and artifact free @ 4k?
graysky
Developer

Re: RPi4 users with 4k display able to test out kodi-rbp4-gi

Postby moonman » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:35 pm

No artifacts with that video on my Samsung TV. 4k@30 although the video is a little laggy. I would expect hardware decoding to be smooth.

It may be your cable. Some HDMI cables can't handle the bandwidth of 4k stream. I had that happen before.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby graysky » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Thanks for confirming it... I will need to get a new cable to see for my setup. As to the choppy nature of it, even on my dekstop, it seems a bit choppy.
graysky
Developer

Postby graysky » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:12 pm

@moonman - According to http://www.jell.yfish.us/,

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('website', 'F')or Ultra HD (4K) Videos, it looks like the new BD spec calls for 10-Bit H.265 encoding and allows for a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbps. I'm not entirely sure whether this is just for video, audio and video combined, or the total allowable data transfer rate (audio, video, java, etc). It's probably a safe bet that, if your media player can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File, you should be good to go for UHD.

Please test on your system: http://www.jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfis ... -10bit.mkv

My desktop cannot smoothly play it (vlc). The desktop is using the rather old onboard HD Graphics 4600. I cannot get my RPi4 to play it all perhaps due to a cheap cable as you hypothesized. I'll get a 4k 60fps cable tomorrow hopefully.
graysky
Developer

Postby moonman » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', 'P')lease test on your system: http://www.jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfis ... -10bit.mkv

There is sound after probably a 20 second load time (which plays for 5 seconds, and starts buffering), but the video does not play at all. Video is on the SD card.
I tried a full length movie which is ~70GB file, with about 50Mbit/s bitrage, 4k, HDR 10bit HEVC. Same thing - no video
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby graysky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks moonman, working with the developer to figure out. Can you confirm that like my case, HD content (10-bit HVEC or otherwise) works as expected for you too?
graysky
Developer

Return to ARMv7h