[SOLVED] RPi4 8G model B Aarch64 installation

This is for ARMv8 based devices

[SOLVED] RPi4 8G model B Aarch64 installation

Postby inglor » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 am

Hi,

I got an RPi 4 8G model B and trying to install the 64bit Aarch64.

I followed the wiki page https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4 and replaced the URL in step 5 with the one mentioned in the the bottom of the page http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz.

Then executed the `sed` command to change the
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
sed -i 's/mmcblk0/mmcblk1/g' root/etc/fstab
')
and tried to boot.

Issues
- When connected to a screen and keyboard it seems to be booting OK and I see the login but the USB plugged keyboard is unresponsive.
- I also don't see in the router a new IP handed from DHCP server so I can't SSH to it to debug.

Considering I can't boot the file system what's the recommended approach to have an Aarch64 on RPi4? I've been searching the forum for 2 days and it's not clear what's missing from the Wiki.

Thanks
Last edited by inglor on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inglor

Re: RPi4 8G model B Aarch64 installation

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:40 am

I run linux-raspberrypi4 not linux-aarch64 on my 8GB model. Do you have another RPi4 you can boot the image to and switch kernels or try to affect the fix?

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14942#p65582
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14734#p64494
graysky
Developer

Postby inglor » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi graysky,

Thanks for the reply. You suggestion indicates it's something to do with the 8G model B specifically.

For now I'm running ARM7 but would like to use 64b at some point
inglor

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Do you have a 2nd RPi4 (<8 g of memory) and a USB uSD card reader? Just boot your image to it, put an 2nd uSD card it in and chroot/install aarch64 with linux-raspberrypi4. USB works fine with it.
graysky
Developer

Postby inglor » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm

I don't own a second RPi4 with <8G of mem.

So if I understood correctly the issue is that the official aarch64 rootfs (from http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz) comes with linux-aarch64 kernel which doesn't support (yet) the USB drivers of the RPi4 8G model B.

A solution would be to:
1. Download the Aarch64 rootfs
2. Extract it on another Archlinux Arm (doesn't it have to be Aarch64 version or ARM7 can suffice?)
3. arch-chroot to the extracted root partition
4. pacman -S linux-raspberry4 (which I assume it will conflict with linux-aarch64 and remove it)
5. (Optional) Remove linux-aarch64 (pacman -R linux-aarch64) (only if above doesn't conflict)
6. Sync, disconnect and connect to RPi4, Boot RPi4

I do have another RPi (not 4) - can I use that to prepare the aarch64 image?
Alternatively I have an Odroid C2 which currently runs linux-aarch64 if I need to do all that in an aarch64 environment.
inglor

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:27 pm

I think the C2 will work. Chroot is your best option. Kernels will conflict. You will want to pull:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S --needed linux-raspberrypi4 raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x raspberrypi-firmware firmware-raspberrypi')

EDIT: you can use this image I just made from the aarch64 image as I described. Booted fine when I tried it. Just substitute it in for the standard one on the install guide and follow the steps.

http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/ArchLin ... 64.tar.zst
http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/ArchLin ... ar.zst.sig
graysky
Developer

Postby robg » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:43 pm

Dear inglor,

I have installed the linux-raspberrypi4 kernel on my RPI 4B 8G model without an external ARM device and without SSH. To use the keyboard in the aarch64 kernel, set
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'total_mem=2048')
in config.txt (any number below 4096 should do).

You can unset the parameter after installing linux-raspberrypi4.
robg

Postby inglor » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks both - I should have refreshed more often as I did the steps myself with a loop device representing the SD-card :facepalm:

I'll report back and update the title if it's successful :!:

EDIT: Worked as expected (after /etc/fstab update):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sed -i 's/mmcblk0/mmcblk1/g' /etc/fstab')

Thanks! :D
inglor

Re: [SOLVED] RPi4 8G model B Aarch64 installation

Postby woland » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:48 pm

I do not understand this hieroglyphic. I dont understand what is the problem and what is the solution.
The kernel does not have usb support ?? why do we need it if we are installing it on sd card ? and then booting from there ?
If the usb problem relates to the keyboard, how come an arm architecture for raspberry which keyboards will be connected through usb can come without such drivers ???
And then I dont know how to put there another kernel just make a simple copy (cp -p) of a kernel from a raspbian to a mounted folder (/dev/sda1 which is boot folder) which file/s should I copy ? which version of linux kernel ? raspbian ? ubuntu ? kali ???
Another post says download arch64 rootfs, but, from where ¿??? where can we find a rootfs that is working and trustable ?
There are to links which one is the correct one ? how can we place the right kernel on the right place ??

I dont understand anything here
woland

Re: [SOLVED] RPi4 8G model B Aarch64 installation

Postby Narfdf99 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:09 pm

I have the same problem. I am trying to properly install arch for rbp as the documentation suggests. But I have a lot of problems because when the system boots it doesn't find many of the things that should be there. Arch looks like a good project, but it's frustrating at times how many bugs or inconsistencies it has, including documentation.
Narfdf99

Next

Return to ARMv8 Devices