install xorg

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

install xorg

Postby Harmen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Hello,

I've installed Arch Linux ARM install on a Dockstar and updated everythoing. So fare everything works fine.

I want to connect a DisplayLink monitor and I need to install xorg. When I try to install xorg it has missing dependencies for xorg-server and xorg-server-utils (fontcacheproto and xf86miscproto).

I have tryed to search for the missing package and installed fontcacheproto but can't find a xf86miscproto.

Who can tell me how to install xorg on the Dockstar?
Harmen

Re: install xorg

Postby Harmen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Hello,

I've just retried to install xorg with no success. Still the same error on missing dependencies.

Should I still wait or install in an other way?

In an other port I red something about changing to [newcore], [newextra] and [newcommunity] in pacman.conf. That doesn't work for me, or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Harmen
Harmen

Postby pepedog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:32 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Admin', 'I')n /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, change it to dev2.Arch Linux ARM.com. Make sure to pacman -Syyfu

We probably don't have xorg in there yet, but there should be a lot more in there than what we have now. We're still not done with building new packages.

do you mean
Server = http://dev2.Arch Linux ARM.com/arm/$repo
?

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby Harmen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Okay, after changing to dev2.Arch Linux ARM.com I can install xorg and xorg-server without any errors. But in the process of changing to the new mirror and updating I've lost the udlfb module.

Before updating the module loads and the display shows a green-screen, after updating it's lost.

I've tried to download, make and install libdlo en xf86-video-displaylink from aur.archlinux.org and after updating this works all fine. In the tar for xf86-video-displaylink there are some source files for udlfb. But I don't know how to compile them. There is no configure-script and make returns errors.

FYI: I'm trying to get an image on a Samsung U70 displaylink monitor connected to a Seagate Dockstar.

Update: udlfb loads and xserver starts after decompressing the kernel modules. Modprobe udlfb shows file not found. When searching for the file it's there only with the gz extension. After decompressing some kernel-modules it loads again. There is probably a way to tell modprobe that the modules are compressed.
Harmen

Postby blurry » Tue May 31, 2011 2:20 pm

If you get a green screen, that means the udlfb kernel driver was successful at talking to the device. I don't see xserver in the repo right now, but if you want something neat to do:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'rmmod udlfb
modprobe udlfb console=1
modprobe fbcon
')

If this is something you want more permanent, add this to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'options udlfb console=1')

After you do that, you should have a console output from the VGA port. Would be nice if we had BB in the repo, as it's a real pain to compile!
blurry

Postby blurry » Tue May 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh! I never ran the full upgrade (pacman -Syyfu) -- I do see xorg-xserver in there now! w00t!
blurry

Postby blurry » Tue May 31, 2011 2:55 pm

http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/xf86 ... isplaylink

Anyone had luck building the udlfb xserver driver yet? I keep getting a message:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
checking for XORG... configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.0.99.901 xproto fontsproto ) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XORG_CFLAGS
and XORG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
')
blurry

Postby tayloratosu » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah, what blurry said. :)

I'm trying to get Displaylink working with my Pogoplug Pink and the very latest Arch Linux. I've got the udlfb module loaded and can use it with fbcon to get a console, which is pretty cool. (Thanks for that tip, blurry.) In fact, with tmux, mutt, links, calcurse, and a little script I wrote called dosedit, I almost don't need X, except that links doesn't work well with Javascript. Oh, and videos -- can't watch videos on a console. Almost forgot about that. Unless I can figure out how to get MPlayer to run against the framebuffer.

Can't figure out how to get xorg working. There's no xf86-displaylink driver that I can find. I've tried using the delivered fbdev xorg driver, but either it doesn't work or I'm not smart enough to figure out how to configure xorg.conf to make it work. I tried downloading and compiling the displaylink driver on my own, but I get errors about a missing xf86Resources.h file. I found a copy of sombody's xf86Resources.h file somewhere, but using that gave me a whole lot more errors.

So, what do I do next? Besides being content with just a console, that is. I can try stealing the displaylink xorg driver from Debian Squeeze armel. Would that work or are these drivers kernel/distribution-specific? Or should I just be patient and wait for y'all fine folks working on Archlinux Arm to catch up with the hardware? :)
tayloratosu

Return to User Questions