New pogoplug pro - what should i do with it?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

New pogoplug pro - what should i do with it?

Postby lrmulli » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:19 am

So...

I ordered a pogoplug pro yesterday on a bit of a whim after reading so much about the plug devices and their uses on sites like hackaday as and when the articles have popped up.

If I have understood correctly I should be able to install Arch Linux ARM ( or is it Arch Linux ARM install?) onto a usb stick by following this guide - http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Install_on_Pogoplug_Pro

However - one thing I'm unsure of and can't seem to find the answer to on these forums is when that is installed - if I remove the usb drive does the device still function like an unmodified device? and also do the pogoplug services still work?

So basically what I'm trying to understand is it a choice between Arch Linux ARM and it's original functions or is there a blended experience available?

My plug hasn't even arrived yet but i'm so pleased to see there is an active community do some good stuff with the device.

In case anybody is interested - I ordered the pogoplug pro from firebox.com reduced to just shy of £50 in the UK.

Many Thanks

Lrmulli
lrmulli

Re: New pogoplug pro - what should i do with it?

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

Unfortunately at this time there is no blended experience, but I am working to make it so that when no Arch Linux ARM / ArchLinuxARM is found, it will boot to the default firmware. Due to certain complexities, this is harder than it ought to be.

It is easy to revert, but casual reverting not suggest for NAND wear purposes. (It'll write/erase a decent chunk of the NAND, unused by CE, but still)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 pm

My suggestion is to try out the pogo service for a bit. I found it disappointing and slow, but it suits the needs of some. In the meantime you can research what services are available here. I have two units now. One is dedicated to storing video for my tivo units. The other shares printers and shares files with my computers at home. One unit could do all this work, but to get around certain network bottlenecks, I'm using two boxes.
I also have a torrent client installed for use as needed, and apache web sever which I am using as a hobby when I have time.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby lrmulli » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Brilliant - thanks for both of your replies.

I suppose I will give the "out-of-the-box" experience a try first - (and see if I actually use it) and then look into doing some of the more custom stuff you can do with a pogo.

Thank you
lrmulli

Return to Community Supported