internal hd

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

internal hd

Postby tritron » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:28 am

I wonderif anyone had tested voltage that power supply is providing ? Is the board powered by 12V or less.
Laptop harddrives are cheap. SSD are cheap also. We could use voltage that power supply is puting out and voltageregulator to output 5V and 12V
tritron

Re: internal hd

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 am

The real concern is space and heat. But the board input is 12V i think, I'll have to recheck.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tritron » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 am

There is enough room for laptop drive or ssd. I moded my pogoplug to use 2TB harddrive. The boot times and performace of system seems to be so much faster that when I was booting from usb stick.
tritron

Postby haiku » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:44 am

Neat 8-) Do you have any photo ?
haiku

Postby kleiner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 am

I used an usb-port to supply my 2,5" hdd. The reason why i used a 2,5" hdd is, because this hdd requires just a +5V power supply instead of 3,5" hdd which requires also an +12V power supply.

You can see the adapter i build on the photo.

hdd power supply.jpg
hdd power supply.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
kleiner

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I bought an enclosure for an external 2.5" drive that happens to come with everything you need: an eSATA port and cable, a USB connector and cable that can be used to power the drive while using the eSATA cable (or as a USB connection without the eSATA cable), and an internal SATA to eSATA connector that you can install inside your PPPro. It works great! http://www.pogoplugged.com/forum/thread ... ble/#17353
Geoff

Postby Fieryphoenix » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 am

I ripped apart an old 10Mbit rackmount switch to put my 3.5" SATA drive in along with my Pogoplug Pro. I was going to use its power supply but it wasn't rated for the amperage the drive would need. Good thing, too, because by coincidence the mounting posts for it are the same spacing as the Pro's MB. I used a column of low temperature hot glue as the fourth support, and I dremeled holes in the actual switch PCB to attach the hard drive to. I gave up trying to be clever with mounting after that and just velcroed the power supply for the hard drive and the Pogoplug Pro shell with the plug's power supply still inside. Toss in a Cat6 inline coupler, a fan, and some foot long USB extension cables and I have a rackmount Pogoplug server! Now if I only had a rack.
Fieryphoenix

Return to Community Supported